Synopses & Reviews
Tamora Pierce brings readers another Tortall adventure! Alianne is the teenage daughter of the famed Alanna, the first lady knight in Tortall. Young Aly follows in the quieter footsteps of her father, however, delighting in the art of spying. When she is captured and sold as a slave to an exiled royal family in the faraway Copper Islands, it is this skill that makes a difference in a world filled with political intrigue, murderous conspiracy, and warring gods. This is the first of two books featuring Alianne.
"The new Tortall page-turner will delight existing fans and create many more....A ripping good yarn that introduces a new series." Kirkus Reviews
"Pierce fans will flock to welcome back the star of her first novel, Alanna: The First Adventure, this time in a supporting role the main focus here is her daughter, 16-year-old slacker Aly...The climax is worth the wait, and ably sets up a framework for future adventures of this very likable new heroine." Publishers Weekly
This new Tortall adventure is the first of two books featuring, Alianne, the teenage daughter of Alanna, the first lady knight of Tortall, who follows the quieter footsteps of her father, delighting in the art of spying.
About the Author
Tamora Pierce is a bestselling author of fantasy books for teenagers. Her books, known for their teenaged girl warriors, have received critical acclaim and a strong fanbase.
Reading Group Guide
1. In the first pages of Tricksters Choice, Alys mother, Alanna, accuses Aly of “not wanting to do anything.” On the same page Aly says to someone else: “You try being the daughter of a legend. Its a great deal of work.” How do these two statements relate to each other? When Aly is separated from her family, how does it change both her and her mother? Could these changes happen in a contemporary setting?
2. “This is going to be my greatest trick ever, pulled off under the noses of mortals and gods alike,” Kyprioth tells Aly. What trick is he talking about?
3. Aly keeps her true identity a secret in the Copper Isles. Why?
4. How are the Balitangs different from other slave owners? Does it make a difference in their relationships with slaves? How are slaves and servants different in the Copper Isles?
5. Kyprioth remarks that Aly is “marked by fate from birth, just like her parents.” What characteristics does Aly share with her parents? Which characteristics are unique to her?
6. How are the morals of the people in Tortall different from those in the Copper Isles? How are the raka and luarin different? Tamora Pierce is inspired by both history and current events. Can you think of specific times, places, or events that might have inspired her when she wrote Tricksters Choice?
7. Why do the Balitangs raka slaves and servants protect Sarai and Dove? What does it mean for the raka people?
8. “It isnt just children who need heroes. Dont you see what shes done for women, for all women?” Dove asks Aly when inquiring about the Lioness. Whom does each of the characters in the novel look up to?
9. To survive as a slave and a spy, Aly has to use what she has learned from her father and others. What are some examples of what she has learned? How has she put that knowledge to use?
10. Why is Nawat the only crow to turn himself into a human? Why does Aly resist falling in love with him? Is she only afraid to be vulnerable, or is it something more?
11. What is Bronaus interest in Sarai? Why doesnt he ask her fathers permission to court her? What was his relationship with Winnamine, Sarais stepmother? Who do you think understands Bronaus motivations best?
12. How is Alys family like and unlike the Balitang family? How do those two families compare to the royal family of the Copper Isles? Do you think the families in this fantasy setting reflect the relationships in families today?
13. If you could be like any of the characters in Tricksters Choice, whom would you choose? Why? Are you already similar to any of the characters? If so, How?
Tamora Pierces first book, Alanna: The First Adventure, was published in 1983. In the twenty years since, she has gathered a legion of diverse fans, all awaiting Tricksters Choice with bated breath. Why? Not just because it is another Tamora Pierce novel filled with adventure, magic, drama, fighting, strong girls, sexy boys, fabulous creatures, sly humor, and an exciting hint of romance. But also because this is the story of Alannas daughter, Alianne (known as Aly) who is ready to start on her own path to glory in ways her legendary mother never would have.