Synopses & Reviews
New York Times Bestseller Spring 2013 Kids' Indie Next List
Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this thrilling sequel to Grave Mercy. Sybella arrives at the convents doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?
"First-time novelist Derting has written a suspenseful mystery and sensual love story that will captivate readers who enjoy authentic high school settings, snappy dialogue, sweet romance, and heart -- stopping drama. A real page -- turner, this will have readers checking behind themselves and refusing to go anywhere alone." Claudia Gray, New York Times bestselling author of Stargazer
Praise for The Body Finder:"The romance and the mystery in The Body Finder were so intense that I didn't know whether to hold my breath or scream. I did know I wouldn't be getting anything done until I read the whole book." G
“[T]his absorbing suspense tale … stands out in the sea of supernatural fiction.” Kirkus Reviews
“Youll be drawn in by the love storyand kept up all night by the suspense.” Claudia Gray, New York Times bestselling author of the Evernight series about The Body Finder
* "LaFevers is that wonderful sort of storyteller who so completely meshes events, descriptions, and characters that readers get lost in the world she's concocted. It's a place where history mingles with mystery and love is never expected."
—Booklist, starred review
* "The prose's beauty inspires immediate re-reads of many a sentence, but its forward momentum is irresistible. An intricate, masterful page-turner about politics, treachery, religion, love and healing."
—Kirkus, starred review
* "Brimming with powerful emotions, thrilling sword fights, and accurate period detail, this tightly plotted tale will enthrall readers of romantic historical fantasy."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Personal where Grave Mercy was political and comprehensive, this story focuses tightly on Sybella as she seeks vengeance upon the many men who have wronged her. . . . Her romantic relationship with the imprisoned warrior unfolds with a sweet tenderness that romance fans will relish."
—Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
"Romantic fantasy with a vengence. . . LaFevers offers a pungent mix of inner torment, costume drama, and dagger-, sword-, poison-, and garrote-play."
"An expertly crafted novel, with deep characters and an interesting plot that is, at the same time, fantastic, yet realistic. LaFevers has agazin used great artistry to create an excellent tale for both young adult and adult audiences."
—VOYA, 4Q 4P S
* "As with the first book, LaFevers has filled the pages of her novel with adventure, and the pace is electrifyingly fast. The characters are well drawn, and even the secondary figures have dimension. Sybella's quick-thinking and fearless approach to terrifying personal and political situations renders her an incredibly strong protagonist with whom readers will identify."
—School Library Journal, starred review
Cynthia Leitich Smith, New York Times best-selling author of the Tantalize series:
"A delectable simmer of intrigue and ferocity, passion and compassion. Grave Mercy sates and fascinates, even as it leaves you craving more."
Elizabeth Bunce, author of Starcrossed and A Curse Dark as Gold:
"Chilling, deftly plotted, and with a thread of subtly crafted romance. Readers will be seduced by LaFevers's deadly snare of haunting magic and courtly intrigue."
Laura Whitcomb, author of A Certain Slant of Light:
"Atmospheric, romantic, and gripping."
Ten Teen Reads You Can't Miss, Entertainment Weekly.com, October 2012:
"Prepare to enjoy LaFevers' tasty court intrigue and one badass heroine."
Starred review, Booklist:
* "With characters that will inspire the imagination, a plot that nods to history while defying accuracy, and a love story that promises more in the second book, this is sure to attract feminist readers and romantics alike."
Starred review, Kirkus Reviews:
* "LaFevers' ambitious tapestry includes poison and treason and murder, valor and honor and slow love, suspense and sexuality and mercy. A page-turner-with grace."
Starred review, Publishers Weekly:
* "Rich in historical detail, well-realized characters, political machinations, and enticingly prickly scenes between Ismae and Duval, LaFevers's complex tale incorporates magic both sparingly and subtly. This powerful first volume of the His Fair Assassin series should attract many readers."
Starred review, School Library Journal:
* "The book is well written and filled with fascinating, complex characters who function realistically in this invented medieval world."
Starred review, Shelf Awareness:
#3 on Kids' Indie Next List, spring 2012
An Amazon Best Teen Book of 2012
The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.
Winner of the Breakthrough Novel Award Contest--Jill Baguchinsky's quirky, creepy debut
Violet doesn't remember much about her late mother, but she is certain of one thing: she too can see ghosts and communicate with the dead. But when Violet discovers paranormal activity in the girls' locker room, she finds herself ill-equipped for handling the school's ghostly echoes. Through Violet's own investigation and with the help of some unlikely allies, Violet discovers there is a lot she doesn't know about her special skill--and more still that can stand in the way of its power. With sharp wit and determination, Violet sets out to uncover the truth behind her school's haunting, to finish the investigation that led to her mother's sudden death, and to learn why the only ghost she has ever wanted to see is the one that has eluded her forever.
Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this thrilling sequel to Grave Mercy.
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes a brutal arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of assassins - for a price. Packed with love, magic, and deadly games of courtly intrigue and treason, book one of a fast-paced YA trilogy set in 15th-century France combines romance with captivating action.
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
Ismaes most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Deaths vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
About the Author
Kimberly Derting is the author of the Body Finder series, the Pledge trilogy, and the Taking series. She lives in the Pacific Northwest, where the gloomy weather is ideal for writing anything dark and creepy. Her three beautiful (and often mouthy) children serve as an endless source of inspiration and frequently find things they say buried in the pages of their mother's books.