Synopses & Reviews
THE LANGUAGE OF MATHEMATICS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
Derived from the world-renowned McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, this vital reference offers a wealth of essential information in a portable, convenient, quick-find format. Whether youre a professional, a student, a writer, or a general reader with an interest in science, there is no better or more authoritative way to stay up-to-speed with the current language of mathematics or gain an understanding of its key ideas and concepts.
Written in clear, simple language understandable to the general reader, yet in-depth enough for scientists, educators, and advanced students, The McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Mathematics, Second Edition:
* Has been extensively revised, with 4,000 entries encompassing the language of mathematics and statistics
* Includes synonyms, acronyms, and abbreviations
* Provides pronunciations for all terms
* Covers such topics as algebra, analysis, arithmetic, logic and set theory, number theory, probability and statistics, topology, and trigonometry
* Includes an appendix containing tables of useful data and information
* Is based on the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms – for more than a quarter-of-a-century THE standard international reference
Carefully reviewed for clarity, completeness, and accuracy, the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Mathematics, Second Edition, offers a standard of excellence unmatched by any similar publication.
AUTHORITATIVE--COMPREHENSIVE--CURRENT. Carefully reviewed to ensure its accuracy, clarity, and completeness, the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Mathematics puts a wealth of essential information at your fingertips. Whether you're a professional, a student, a writer, or a general reader with science curiosity, this comprehensive resource defines the current language of pure and applied mathematics and gives you a better understanding of the ideas and concepts you need to know. The McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Mathematics is based on the renowned McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Fifth Edition, the universal reference choice for the international scientific community--researchers, scientists, engineers, technicians, educators, and writers--and general readers with an interest in science. 4,000 up-to-date entries that fully define the language of mathematics; Based on the world-famous McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Fifth Edition; Covers all fields of pure and applied mathematics, including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, logic, and topology; Includes hundreds of synonyms, acronyms, and abbreviations; Provides pronunciations for all terms; Appendix contains tables of useful data and information.
Derived from the content of the respected McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
Sixth Edition, each title provides thousands of definitions of words and phrases encountered in a specific discipline. All include:
* Pronunciation guide for every term
* Acronyms, cross-references, and abbreviations
* Appendices with conversion tables; listings of scientific, technical, and mathematical notation; tables of relevant data; and more
* A convenient, quick-find format
About the Author
Compiled by The Editorial Staff of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (New York City), one of the most skilled, experienced, and innovative teams in the field of scientific publishing.
Table of Contents
How to Use the Dictionary