Synopses & Reviews
Disaster Recovery Planning, Fourth Edition offers today's most comprehensive, holistic, up-to-date, and practical view of disaster recovery and business continuity planning. Jon William Toigo offers a complete, step-by-step roadmap that enables practitioners to serve and balance multiple goals, including risk management, information governance, security, availability, and data management. Drawing on direct experience crafting and executing on more than 150 DR plans, he shows how to integrate proactive and reactive measures that address every relevant technical, business, and human issue.
Toigo sets the record straight regarding the capabilities and limitations of new technology offerings such as IT clouds and server virtualization, objectively assessing their claims to deliver high availability and eliminate the need for continuity plans. Along the way, he also identifies tools that can be relied upon to improve the resiliency of business process service infrastructure, and which DR technologies currently offer the greatest return on investment.
Using this book's techniques, you can confidently create new plans -- and you can systematically update older plans to reflect new infrastructure and new challenges. Toigo supplements his proven, step-by-step "roadmap" approach with forms, checklists and real world examples that will be invaluable to both novice planners and experienced hands.
Table of Contents
1. Fundamentals of Continuity Planning
2. A Method to the Madness
3. Initiating the Planning Project
4. Disaster Recovery Meets Data Management
5. Setting Continuity Service Objectives
6. Preventing Avoidable Disasters
7. Protecting the Data Asset
8. Recovering the Business Process Support Platform
9. The Human Factor Recovery Strategies Include Carbon Robots
10. The Tipping Point. Securing Management Support
11. Building the Continuity Service
12. Testing the Continuity Service
13. Managing Change
14. Interim Conclusions