Synopses & Reviews
In recent years, scientists have discovered thousands of substances in foods that go way beyond vitamins and minerals for pure healing power. The Doctors Book of Food Remedies
- by Selene Yeager and the Editors of Prevention Health Books - shows how to use Mother Natures "healing foods" to lose weight, prevent cancer, reverse heart disease, cleanse arteries, unleash an explosion of new energy, lower cholesterol, look and feel years younger, and much, much more.
Here readers will discover how to:
-cut the risk of heart attack in half by snacking on nuts
-protect against colon cancer by eating grapefruit
-cool off hot flashes with flaxseed
-heal a wound with honey
-fight diabetes with milk—and wine
-reduce cholesterol with cinnamon
Written in collaboration with the editors of Prevention magazine, one of Americas most trusted sources for health information, the book covers 60 different ailments and 97 different healing foods, and offers 100 delicious, nutrient-rich recipes. Newly researched, every entry provides current information and the latest clinical studies from real doctors and nutritionists working in some of the best medical institutions in the United States.
In just the last few years, scientists have found hundreds of substances in foods that go way beyond vitamins and minerals for pure healing power. In The Doctors Book of Food Remedies, you will learn exactly how to use the healing foods to treat and prevent dozens of conditions, from arthritis and fatigue to high blood pressure and stroke.
* A food that can block the harmful effects of secondhand smoke (page 555)
* How to stop cataracts with the carotenoids in spinach (page 123)
* A juice that reduces urinary tract infections by 58 percent (page 545)
* How a substance in grapefruit can help control diabetes (page 185)
* How to cut your risk of heart disease in half with three simple foods (page 276)
* A phytonutrient in buckwheat that prevents cholesterol from sticking to arteries (page 95)
* The beverage that can reduce the risk of stroke by 73 percent (page 511)
* How to stop an infection with nature's sweetner (page 290)
Plus, 150 nutrient-rich recipes that are specially designed to fight and reverse specific health problems.
Written in collaboration with "Prevention Magazine," one of America's most trusted sources for health information, this work covers 60 different ailments and 97 different healing foods, and offers 100 delicious, nutrient-rich recipes.
About the Author
is a top-selling author and professional health and fitness writer who lives what she writes as a certified personal trainer, expert-class mountain bike racer, and triathlete. She has authored, co-authored, and contributed to more than two dozen books. She is a contributing editor at Prevention
and Scuba Diving
magazines and dishes out training advice monthly as Bicycling
magazines "FitChick." She lives in Emmaus, Pennsylvania.