Synopses & Reviews
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Now completely updated and revised, this is an expanded edition of the classic natural pet-care book by veterinarian Richard H. Pitcairn and his wife Susan Pitcairn-- both renowned specialists in chemical-free nutrition, treatment and natural healing for pets. Written with the warmth and compassion that have won the Pitcairns a nationwide following, this guide will help you select the most compatible dog or cat for your own lifestyle-- and show you how to provide the very best in companionship, healing, nutrition and lifelong care. Since its publication more than a decade ago, the Pitcairns' book has become the definitive guide to a natural lifestyle for dogs and cats.
A comprehensive, thorough reference, this pet-lover's companion will tell you:
* How to choose a healthy animal
* Dozens of recipes for delicious, economical, healthful pet food-- with completely updated tables, charts and nutritional guidelines
* How to give your pet a checkup
* What's really in pet foods-- and which ones to avoid to ensure your pet's best health
* Special diets for special pets
* A guide to handling emergencies that includes techniques for external heart massage, artificial respiration and control of bleeding
An in-depth, alphabetical "Quick Reference" section that gives specific instructions for preventing, diagnosing and treating a wide variety of animal diseases and disorders-- from abscesses, allergies and behavior problems to vaccination risks, weight problems and worms. The Pitcairns' approach is drug-free and holistic-- with special attention to homeopathic and alternative remedies and treatments.
"The most comprehensive guide to natural health care for pets-- required reading for all animal lovers!"--Allen M. Schoen, D.V.M., Editor, Veterinary Acupuncture: Ancient Art to Modern Medicine