Synopses & Reviews
This handbook offers much-needed guidance on professional and ethical boundaries in client-therapist interactions. Replete with real-life examples, the book presents practical solutions to dilemmas, judgment calls, and sensitive situations including confidentiality, sexual attraction, socializing with clients, negotiating fees, and deciding when to stop working with a client.
This edition's new communication chapter gives specific suggestions for what to say in various situations, emphasizing the importance of tone and intention. A new section explains how to set limits and why setting limits is crucial. This edition offers a clearer explanation of transference and countertransference with more real-life examples. Each chapter includes new Questions for Reflection.
The Educated Heart demystifies the important issues of establishing professional relationships in the manual therapies. The author uses humor, compassion, and humanity to present this complicated content in terms that are highly readable and engaging. The book includes real-life examples and practical solutions to dilemmas and sensitive situations that all bodyworkers face in their everyday practice.
A companion website includes downloadable video clips depicting problematic boundary situations commonly experienced by bodyworkers and massage therapists.
This handbook offers much-needed guidance on professional and ethical bo
Table of Contents
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Chapter 1: The Educated Heart: The Need for Professional Boundaries
- Chapter 2: Protective Circles: Boundaries and the Professional Relationship
- Chapter 3: Framework: Nuts and Bolts of Boundaries
- Chapter 4: Client-Practitioner Dynamics: Boundaries and the Power Imbalance
- Chapter 5: Ethical Boundaries: From Theory to Practice
- Chapter 6: Boundaries and the Power of Words
- Chapter 7: Sexual Boundaries: Protecting Our Clients
- Chapter 8: Sexual Boundaries: Protecting Ourselves
- Chapter 9: Financial Boundaries: Getting Comfortable With Money
- Chapter 10: Dual Relationships and Boundaries: Wearing Many Hats
- Chapter 11: Help With Boundaries: Support, Consultation, and Supervision
Appendix A: American Massage Therapy Association Code of Ethics
Appendix B: Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals Code of Ethics
Appendix C: Related Readings