Synopses & Reviews
Here's the designer's guide to creating excellent e-books with InDesign
Creative professionals are designing more and more e-books and e-zines as digital publishing increasingly gains market share. This book pulls together a wide range of essential information to help them maximize the versatility of InDesign for e-publishing. If you need to know how to build, deploy, and manage digital publications using InDesign, here's your guide to the process, from understanding the platforms and devices and how best to design for them to creating media-rich content for multiple formats using a variety of technologies.
- Designers are seeking to sharpen their skills to compete in today’s e-publishing market, and this book is packed with necessary information about creating and adapting content for e-publication
- Explains how to plan a new digital publication, convert a print publication to digital, add multimedia and interactivity, and publish and distribute the finished product
- Covers platforms, devices, and formats; creating media-rich content; designing for different devices; and managing digital publications
- Examines Adobe's Digital Publishing System, CSS, HTML5, and other commercial vehicles available for e-publishing on multiple platforms, including iPad, Kindle, NOOK, and other tablets and e-readers
ePublishing with InDesign is a valuable tool for designers seeking to boost their skills and create cutting-edge e-publications.
The vast and variable landscape of digital publishing is changing rapidly and digital designers need to know how to use the right tools for the ever-changing jobs in this emerging market.
ePublishing with INGN provides the key ingredients you need to know to build, deploy, and manage digital publications using INGN-including creating e-content from scratch with the various systems available and converting existing print publications to digital formats.
- Learn the entire process for planning a new digital publication, converting an existing print publication, adding multimedia and interactivity, exporting and publishing the electronic publication, and managing and distributing it through the correct channels.
- Start with understanding the platforms, devices and formats, and the best ways to design for them.
- Move on to creating media-rich e-content for multiple e-editions, all the while putting you INGN knowledge to use for new delivery platforms.
- Use the hands-on projects to build a new skill base in INGN and beyond, with step-by-step instruction on how to use Adobe's Digital Publishing System, CSS, HTML5 and other commercial vehicles available for publishing media-rich e-books, e-magazines, e-yearbooks, e-catalogs on multiple platforms, including iPad, Kindle, Nook, and other tablets and e-readers.
Create, Deploy, and Manage Digital Publications
If you want to create digital publications with engaging layouts and pages that pop, let epublishing expert Pariah Burke show you how. This book provides the information you need to design and launch your digital publications, including how to create econtent from scratch and how to convert print publications to digital formats.
This book walks you through the entire process: planning, adding multimedia and interactivity, and publishing using InDesign. Step-by-step instructions and hands-on projects help you quickly build skills. In no time, you'll design media-rich ebooks, emagazines, ecatalogs, and more!
- Explore how to create content for the iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, Nook, Android tablets, and other devices
- Design, deploy, and manage richly interactive digital magazines, ecatalogs, ebooks, etextbooks, and more
- Produce touch-interactive digital publications with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite and Aquafadas Digital Publishing System
- Add audio, video, and images to your ebooks
- Produce ebooks of the highest quality and maximum compatibility with EPUB and Kindle KF8
- Plan a PDF publication and leverage its epublishing potential
- Learn to navigate and thrive in the complex landscape of digital publication formats, purposes, and viewing devices
About the Author
Pariah Burke is a design, print, and epublishing workflow consultant and trainer. In addition to Mastering InDesign CS5 for Print Design and Production, he is the author or coauthor of five other books and more than 350 published articles. He is also a coauthor of the InDesign and Illustrator CS4 and CS5 Adobe Certified Expert exams, an Adobe Community Professional, and a freelance designer with twenty years' experience. Pariah is the host of a series of digital publishing, epublishing, and design-business webinars, as well as publisher of a network of websites, communities, and tools for creative professionals, the Workflow: Network (www.WorkflowNetwork.com).
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Exploring Ereading Devices 1
Chapter 2 Learning about Digital Publishing Formats 25
Chapter 3 Surveying the Digital Publication Types 51
Chapter 4 Creating Basic Ebooks 71
Chapter 5 Working with Images and Multimedia in Ebooks 117
Chapter 6 Fine-Tuning EPUBs 177
Chapter 7 Creating PDF Publications for Digital Delivery 225
Chapter 8 Covering the Basics of Interactive Magazines 311
Chapter 9 Creating Interactive Magazines with Adobe DPS 343
Chapter 10 Creating Interactive Magazines with Aquafadas DPS 431