Synopses & Reviews
Essential Windows Phone 7.5
is the definitive guide to creating powerful, visually compelling mobile applications that take full advantage of Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7.5 platform. Nine-time Microsoft MVP Shawn Wildermuth draws on his extensive experience teaching Silverlight and Windows Phone development, helping you to get started fast and master techniques that lead to truly outstanding apps.
After introducing the latest version of Windows Phone, Shawn Wildermuth dives directly into the essentials, emphasizing best-practice examples and illustrating with code. You’ll build a complete application from start to finish, then build on your skills with increasingly sophisticated techniques.
From planning and design through application delivery, Shawn Wildermuth guides you through the entire mobile development lifecycle, showing how to make the most of Windows Phone 7.5’s most important new capabilities. Whether you’re a .NET or Silverlight developer going mobile, or an experienced mobile developer moving to Windows Phone, Essential Windows Phone 7.5 delivers all the skills you’ll need.
- Leveraging Microsoft’s breakthrough Metro design language
- Using phone features such as email, calling, search, Web browsing, and the camera
- Designing the look and feel of your user interface with XAML
- Interacting with users via Panorama, Pivot, and other controls
- Mastering the new Silverlight Toolkit for Windows Phone 7.5
- Choosing the right application paradigm and functionality for your specific app
- Incorporating touch, vibration, motion, and sound into your interfaces
- Working with Windows Phone 7.5’s unique hubs and tiles
- Building location-based services that work with the phone’s GPS
- Storing data in Isolated Storage or Windows Phone 7.5’s database support
- Multitasking reliably, without compromising performance
- Integrating external data via REST, conventional Web services, and push notifications
- Preparing your application for the Windows Phone Marketplace
Consumers today expect their phone to be a multi-use machine with the capabilities of a phone, a GPS, a gaming device, and an Internet tablet. For some consumers, their phone is now their primary connection to the Internet, replacing the desktop/laptop computer for the first time. For developers, the challenge is to find the best way to create the experiences that the user needs. Windows Phone 7.5 provides that platform, and Silverlight is the engine to power those experiences. This book is not an exhaustive reference on the topic but a quick and easy-to-digest way for developers to jump into Windows Phone 7.5 programming with Silverlight guru Shawn Wildermuth.
About the Author
Shawn Wildermuth, a nine-time Microsoft MVP, has been named by Microsoft as a Silverlight Insider and a Data Insider. He speaks regularly at leading development conferences including TechEd, MIX, VSLive, OreDev, SDC, WinDev, DevTeach, DevConnections, and DevReach. A 25-year veteran of the software development industry, Wildermuth has authored several books on .NET, including Pragmatic ADO.NET. He currently teaches Windows Phone 7.5 development workshops through his training company, AgiliTrain (agilitrain.com).
Table of Contents
About the Author
Chapter 1: Introducing the Windows Phone 7
Chapter 2: Writing Your First Phone Application
Chapter 3: XAML Overview
Chapter 4: Controls
Chapter 5: Designing for the Phone
Chapter 6: Developing for the Phone
Chapter 7: Phone Integration
Chapter 8: Databases and Storage
Chapter 9: Multitasking
Chapter 10: Services
Chapter 11: The Marketplace