Synopses & Reviews
The only stand-alone guide to Ethiopia's top visitor attractions, Ethiopia Highlights condenses Philip Briggs extensive knowledge into a concise handbook for short stay visitors. Top sites include the worlds tallest monolithic stelae at Axum, the 2,500-year-old ruined temple at Yeha, the mystical and mediaeval rock-carved churches of Lalibela, the decorously painted monasteries of Lake Tana, and the Camelot-like castles of Gondar. Featuring full-color photos throughout, this book serves equally as a holiday planner and a travel companion.
The only stand-alone guide to Ethiopias top visitor attractions.
About the Author
Philip Briggs is the author of 12 Bradt guides, and arguably the most highly-respected guidebook writer on the region.
Table of Contents
1. Background information.
2. Natural World.
3. Planning a trip.
4. On the Ground.
5. Addis Ababa & surrounds: Addis Ababa, Bishoftu (DZ), Adama (Nazret) & Sodore, Debre Libanos, Melka Awash, Tiya & Adadi Maryam, Ambo & Guder, Mount Wenchi, Menegasha Nat Forest.
6. The Lake Tana Region, Bahir Dar, Blue Nile Falls, Lake Tana monasteries, Gonder & Royal compound, Gorgora, Simien NP.
7. Tigrai: Axum, Adwa & Yeha, Eastern Tigrai.
8. Lalibela & NE highlands: Lalibela, Dessie & Hayk, Bati, Gishen Maryam, Makdala Hill, Menz (Guassa Plateau), Debre Birhan & Ankober.
9. Eastern Ethiopia: Awash NP, Afar & the Lower Awash, Danakil, Dire Dawa, Harar, Babile.
10. Southern Ethiopia: Southern Rift Valley Lakes, Dilla & surrounds, Yabelo & surrounds, Arba Minch/Nechisar/Chancho, Bale NP, South Omo.