Synopses & Reviews
You can tell a lot about somebody in a minute. If you choose the right minute. Here are 228 of them.
Join Neil Strauss, "The Mike Tyson of interviewers," (Dave Pirner, Soul Asylum), as he
- Makes Lady Gaga cry, tries to keep Mötley Crüe out of jail & gets kidnapped by Courtney Love
- Shoots guns with Ludacris, takes a ride with Neil Young & goes to church with Tom Cruise and his mother
- Spends the night with Trent Reznor, reads the mind of Britney Spears & finds religion with Stephen Colbert
- Gets picked on by Led Zeppelin, threatened by the mafia & serenaded by Leonard Cohen
- Picks up psychic clues with the CIA, diapers with Snoop Dog & prison survival tips from Rick James
- Goes drinking with Bruce Springsteen, dining with Gwen Stefani & hot tubbing with Marilyn Manson
- Talks glam with David Bowie, drugs with Madonna, death with Johnny Cash & sex with Chuck Berry
- Gets molested by the Strokes, in trouble with Prince & in bed with… youll find out who inside
And many, many more awkward moments and accidental adventures with the worlds number one stars in Everyone Love You When Youre Dead.
"Journalist Strauss, who has coauthored books with the band members of MÃ¶tley CrÃ¼e (The Dirt) and porn superstar Jenna Jameson (How to Make Love Like a Porn Star) now offers a terrific look at the dysfunctional livelihoods of stardom, a theme based on his many interviews for various publications. Strauss went back to his original interview tapes and notes in search of moments mostly unpublished that reveal 'the truth or essence of each person, story, or experience.' He liberally and ingeniously cuts back and forth between scenes, such as pairing the youthful, arrogant claims of Oasis that the band could have been the Beatles in the 1960s with the tortured feeling of the Who's aging leader Pete Townshend ('All we can do in the future is look back'). In other instances, he shows the self-doubt shared by Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner and actor Orlando Bloom. But the best moments come when Strauss has earned such trust of his subjects that he becomes part of some very weird scenes, all of which are presented in all their often hilarious detail: shooting guns with Ludacris, getting kidnapped by Courtney Love, making Lady Gaga cry, and shopping for Pampers with Snoop Dogg. (Mar.)" Publishers Weekly (Copyright PWyxz LLC)
From the "New York Times"-bestselling author of "The Game" and "Emergency" comes a new collection of candid, hysterical, revealing short-form celebrity interviews.
Neil Strauss can uncover the naked truth like nobody else. With his groundbreaking book The Game, Strauss penetrated the secret society of pickup artists; now, in Everyone Loves You When Youre Dead, his candid, surprising, and often hysterical interviews reveal the hidden sides of 120 of the worlds biggest celebrities, from Hugh Heffner to Johnny Cash to Snoop Dogg and beyond.
About the Author
Neil Strauss is the author of the New York Times bestsellers The Game and Rules of the Game. He is also the co-author of four previous bestsellers: How to Make Love Like a Porn Star (with Jenna Jameson), The Dirt (with Mötley Crüe), Dont Try This At Home (with Dave Navarro), and The Long Hard Road Out of Hell (with Marilyn Manson), and the co-author of the satirical graphic novel How to Make Money Like a Porn Star (with Bernard Chang), which has been banned in Singapore. Under the alter ego “Style,” he achieved the distinction of becoming the worlds greatest pickup artist. Strauss lives in Los Angeles, CA.