Synopses & Reviews
Facebook's popularity is skyrocketing, drawing more than 400 million people to this combination online village green, personal website creator, and souped-up address book. But one thing you won't get when signing up is a printed manual. Enter Facebook: The Missing Manual, Second Edition -- the witty, authoritative guide you need, now revised and updated to include all of Facebook's latest features.
- Getting started, getting connected. Signing up is easy, but the real payoff comes when you tap into networks of coworkers, classmates, and friends. This book explains it all-including how to pick and choose who gets to see what, and how to steer clear of people you want to avoid.
- Adding applications. Ranging from silly (fortune cookies and video games) to serious (goal tracking), thousands of mini-programs can transform your Facebook account into an addictive, one-stop resource. Learn how to find and install your favorites.
- Facebook for grownups and businesspeople. Facebook isn't just for Junior anymore. Thousands of companies and business professionals use the site for everything from project collaboration and advertising to filling (and finding) jobs. This book is written for adults of all ages.
- Protecting your privacy. Creeps are everywhere online, but on Facebook you can feel especially exposed with so much personal info on display. This book offers an easy-to-follow, multi-pronged approach to staying safe.
Facebook's spreading about as far and fast as the Web itself: 500 million members and counting. But there's a world of fun packed into the site that most folks miss. With this bestselling guide, learn how to unlock Facebook's talents as personal website creator, souped-up address book, and bustling community forum. It's an eye-opening, timesaving tour, guaranteed to help you get the most out of your Facebook experience.
- Get started, get connected. Signing up is easy, but the real payoff comes when you tap into networks of coworkers, classmates, and friends. Pick and choose who gets to see what, and learn how to steer clear of people you want to avoid.
- Add applications. Transform your Facebook account into an addictive, one-stop resource with thousands of mini-programs, ranging from silly to serious.
- Go professional. Facebook isnt just for college kids. Thousands of companies and businesspeople use the site for everything from project collaboration and advertising to filling (and finding) jobs. Youll learn all the tricks.
- Protect your privacy. You may feel too exposed with so much personal info on display. This book features an easy-to-follow, multi-pronged approach to staying safe on Facebook.
About the Author
Table of Contents
The Missing Credits; About the Author; About the Creative Team; Acknowledgements; The Missing Manual Series; Chapter 1: Introduction; 1.1 How Facebook Works; 1.2 What You Can Do on Facebook; 1.3 About This Book; 1.4 Safari® Books Online; Chapter 2: Getting Started; 2.1 Signing Up for an Account; 2.2 Step 1: Finding Your Friends on Facebook; 2.3 Step 2: Creating Your Profile; 2.4 Step 3: Adding a Picture of Yourself; 2.5 Confirming Your Facebook Registration; 2.6 Viewing Your Profile; 2.7 Viewing Your Facebook Home Page; 2.8 Changing Account Info; Chapter 3: Joining a Network; 3.1 How Networks Work; 3.2 Viewing the Networks You're Already On; 3.3 Joining a Network; 3.4 Leaving a Network; 3.5 Suggesting a New Network; Chapter 4: Finding and Adding Friends; 4.1 How Facebook Friends Work; 4.2 Finding Friends; 4.3 Inviting People to Be Your Friend; 4.4 Responding to Friend Requests; 4.5 Viewing Your Friends; 4.6 Organizing Your Friends; 4.7 Breaking Up: Unfriending Friends; Chapter 5: Sending Messages to Friends; 5.1 Sending Messages; 5.2 Receiving Messages; 5.3 Chatting; 5.4 Poking; 5.5 Writing on Walls; Chapter 6: Exchanging Automatic Updates; 6.1 Types of Updates; 6.2 News Feeds: What Others Are Doing; 6.3 Mini Feeds: What You're Doing; 6.4 Facebook Notifications; 6.5 Subscriptions; 6.6 Creating Notes (Blogs); Chapter 7: Participating in Groups; 7.1 What's a Group?; 7.2 Joining a New Group; 7.3 Participating in New Groups; 7.4 Creating a New Group; 7.5 Finding, Joining, and Participating in Old Groups; Chapter 8: Facebook and the Real World: In-Person Events; 8.1 Types of Events; 8.2 Finding Public Events; 8.3 RSVPing to an Event; 8.4 Creating Your Own Events; Chapter 9: Going Shopping; 9.1 The Marketplace Application; 9.2 Finding and Viewing Marketplace; 9.3 Placing an Ad; 9.4 Finding Stuff; 9.5 Answering an Ad; Chapter 10: Hiring and Getting Hired; 10.1 Recruiting New Hires; 10.2 Vetting Prospects; 10.3 Looking for a Job; Chapter 11: Collaborating on Projects via Facebook; 11.1 Keeping in Touch; 11.2 Exchanging Files; 11.3 Keeping Up-to-Date with Notifications; Chapter 12: Advertising on Facebook; 12.1 Facebook Pages: Profiles for Bands, Brands, and More; 12.2 Social Ads (Targeted Announcements); 12.3 Connect Facebook to Your Website with Widgets; 12.4 High-Dollar Options; Chapter 13: Customizing Facebook and Adding Apps; 13.1 Modifying Your Home Page and Profile; 13.2 Facebook Applications: An Overview; 13.3 Facebook Games; Chapter 14: Playing It Safe: Facebook Privacy; 14.1 Privacy and Facebook: An Overview; 14.2 Deciding How Much to Share; 14.3 Controlling Access to Your Account; 14.4 Adjusting Your Privacy Settings; 14.5 Fighting Back; Chapter 15: Facebook Mobile; 15.1 How Facebook Mobile Works; 15.2 Setting Up Facebook Mobile; 15.3 Using Facebook Mobile; 15.4 Checking In with Places; Getting Help; Facebook Help; Getting Help from Other Facebook Members; Contacting Facebook; Useful Facebook-Related Websites;