Synopses & Reviews
More than a quarter of a million copies sold in previous editions!
Catch the latest Linux technology with Fedora 10
When the free software world improves its offerings, you can be among the first to try them using Fedora. As the basis for the popular enterprise-quality Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora can be your stepping stone to a lucrative career with Linux. Install, configure, and use Fedora as anything from a desktop to an Internet server. Use this book as a guide to installing and running Fedora from the included DVD and live CD.
Set up Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise Linux to:
- Try new or improved features such as FirstAidKit, ext4 file systems, fast start-up, and connection sharing
Navigate your computer with GNOME®, KDE®, Xfce, or Online Desktops
Manage and use documents, spreadsheets, presentations, music, and images
Connect easily to your network with NetworkManager
Draw from massive online Fedora and third-party software repositories
Build an Internet server with e-mail, Web, DNS, FTP, and database services
What's on the DVD and CD-ROM?
System Requirements: Please see the Preface and Appendix A for details and complete system requirements.
New in Fedora 10:
- Improved printing support
New, faster graphical startup
Time-based PulseAudio sound system features
Major RPM package management upgrade
One Laptop Per Child (Sugar) desktop option
Enhanced Webcam support
As a market-leading, free, open-source Linux operating system (OS), Fedora 10 is implemented in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and serves as an excellent OS for those who want more frequent updates. Bestselling author Christopher Negus offers an ideal companion resource for both new and advanced Linux users. He presents clear, thorough instructions so you can learn how to make Linux installation simple and painless, take advantage of the desktop interface, and use the Linux shell, file system, and text editor. He also describes key system administration skills, including setting up users, automating system tasks, backing up and restoring files, and understanding the latest security issues and threats. Included is both a DVD distribution of Fedora Linux 10 and a bootable Fedora LiveCD.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
Table of Contents
I. Getting Started in Fedora and RHEL.
1. An Overview of Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
2. Installing Fedora.
3. Getting Started with the Desktop.
4. Using Linux Commands.
II. Using Fedora and RHEL.
5. Accessing and Running Applications.
6. Publishing with Fedora and RHEL.
7. Gaming in Fedora and RHEL.
8. Music, Video, and Images in Linux.
9. Using the Internet and the Web.
III. Administering Fedora and RHEL.
10. Understanding System Administration.
11. Setting Up and Supporting Users.
12. Automating System Tasks.
13. Backing Up and Restoring Files.
14. Computer Security Issues.
IV. Fedora and RHEL Network and Server Setup.
15. Setting Up Network Connections and LANs.
16. Connecting to the Internet.
17. Setting Up Printers and Printing.
18. Setting Up a File Server.
19. Setting Up a Mail Server.
20. Setting Up an FTP Server.
21. Setting Up a Web Server.
22. Setting up an LDAP Address Book Server.
23. Setting Up a DHCP Boot Server.
24. Setting Up a MySQL Database Server.
25. Making Servers Public with DNS.
26. Integrating Fedora with Apple Macs.
Appendix A: About the Media.
Appendix B: Running Network Services.
Appendix C: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Features.