Synopses & Reviews
The southwest region of British Columbia offers a motherlode of unique rockhounding experiences for both amateur and more seasoned prospectors. This revised and expanded edition of Rick Hudson's bestseller A Field Guide to Gold, Gemstone & Mineral Sites of British Columbia
opens up a whole new world of exploration within a day's drive of Vancouver.
Covering the area from Vancouver inland to Princeton, Merritt and Cache Creek, and as far up the coast as Whistler and Texada Island, this well-researched guidebook will teach you where to find some of the most sought-after minerals in the province. The Coast Mountains are a treasure trove of minerals and gemstones, from gold and jade to garnet and agate. Discover amethyst next to the road or find fossil trees over a metre long. Enjoy a day hunting for quartz crystals, thundereggs, malachite, garnet, marble or amber.
This comprehensive guidebook reveals a vast deposit of information including:
* Mining history and prospecting techniques
* Over 270 sites in southwestern British Columbia
* At-a-glance information on the types of minerals at each site and ease of access to them
* Colour photographs of sites and minerals
* More than 25 detailed maps, completely redrawn for this edition
* Over 100 site drawings
* Glossary of geological terms and a suggested reading list
* Lists of geological clubs and associations and map sources
* Clear explanation on how to use the Internet to learn about prospect sites
Updated and expanded, A Field Guide to Gold, Gemstone & Mineral Sites of British Columbia is a valuable resource for both the armchair geologist and the active rockhound, providing a rich deposit of information that will turn any trip into a prospecting bonanza.
About the Author
Rick Hudson, Ph.D., is a passionate outdoorsman and rockhound who has spent more than two decades exploring Southern British Columbia. The former editor of the Western Canadian Gemstone Newsletter and assistant editor of British Columbia Rockhound Magazine, he now frequently writes about wilderness adventures for various publications including the Globe and Mail, Island Explorer and Rock and Gem Magazine. He is also the author of Gold, Gemstone & Mineral Sites of British Columbia: Volume I, Vancouver Island.