Synopses & Reviews
Take full creative control of your web applications with Flask, the Python-based microframework. With this hands-on book, youll learn Flask from the ground up by developing a complete social blogging application step-by-step. Author Miguel Grinberg walks you through the frameworks core functionality, and shows you how to extend applications with advanced web techniques such as database migration and web service communication.
Rather than impose development guidelines as other frameworks do, Flask leaves the business of extensions up to you. If you have Python experience, this book shows you how to take advantage of that creative freedom.
- Learn Flasks basic application structure and write an example app
- Work with must-have components—templates, databases, web forms, and email support
- Use packages and modules to structure a large application that scales
- Implement user authentication, roles, and profiles
- Build a blogging feature by reusing templates, paginating item lists, and working with rich text
- Use a Flask-based RESTful API to expose app functionality to smartphones, tablets, and other third-party clients
- Learn how to run unit tests and enhance application performance
- Explore options for deploying your web app to a production server
If you have Python experience, and want to learn advanced web development techniques with the Flask microframework, this practical book takes you step-by-step through the development of a real-world project. Its an ideal way to learn Flask from the ground up without the steep learning curve. The author starts with installation and brings you to more complicated topics such as database migrations, caching, and complex database relationships.
Each chapter in this focuses on a specific aspect of the project—first by exploring background on the topic itself, and then by waking you through a hands-on implementation. Once you understand the basics of Flask development, you can refer back to individual chapters to reinforce your grasp of the framework.
About the Author
Miguel Grinberg has over 25 years of experience as a software engineer. In his current position at Rackspace he spends most of his time contributing to open source projects in the OpenStack ecosystem. He blogs at http://blog.miguelgrinberg.com about a variety of topics including web development, robotics, photography, and the occasional movie review. Miguel lives in Portland, Oregon with his wife, four kids, two dogs, and a cat.