Synopses & Reviews
The authors of this book consult fifteen thinkers, from various fields, who have a profound understanding of the important role that education plays in our world. Each chapter opens with an Introduction and concludes with a discussion and questions.
Table of Contents
- Plato, "Plato's Cave: On Breaking the Chains of Ignorance"
- Confucius, "Confucius, The Master Teacher"
- John Locke, "Locke On Developing Good Habits"
- Jean Jacques Rousseau, "Rousseau On Keeping Education Natural"
- Johann Frederich Herbart, "Herbart On the Education of Moral Character"
- Horace Mann, "Mann's Purposes of Education"
- William James, "James On the Laws of Habit"
- Booker T. Washington, "Washington On Achieving Social Equality"
- John Dewey, "Dewey On Society and Education"
- Maria Montessori, "Montessori: My System of Education"
- Carl Rogers, "Rogers On Becoming a Person"
- B.F. Skinner, "Skinner On Contingency Management in the Classroom"
- Shinichi Suzuki, "Suzuki On the Intellectual Development of the Child"