Synopses & Reviews
Includes bibliographical references and index.
From Space to Earth tracks the evolution of the technology of photovoltaics, the use of solar cells to convert the sun's energy into electricity. John Perlin's painstaking research results in a fascinating account of the development of this technology, from its shaky nineteenth-century beginnings mired in scientific controversy to its high-visibility success in the space program, to its current position as a versatile and promising power source.
About the Author
John Perlin is the critically acclaimed author of A Golden Thread: 2500 Years of Solar Architecture and Technology (with Ken Butti).
Table of Contents
1. Photovoltaics: The Great Solar Hope
2. Photoelectric Dreams
3. The Dream Becomes Real
4. Searching for Applications
5. Saved by the Space Race
6. Bringing Solar Cells Down to Earth
7. The First Mass Earth Market
8. Captain Lomer's Saga
9. Working on the Railroad
10. Long Distance for Everyone
11. Father Verspieren Preaches the Solar Gospel
12. Electrifying the Unelectrified
13. Solarizing the Electrified
14. Better Cells, Cheaper Cells
15. The Silent Revolution Continues