Synopses & Reviews
Inspired by the eye-opening events of 9/11, the Asian tsunami and Hurricane Katrina, more and more people are waking up to the value of service – and realizing that their vacation may be the best place to incorporate it into their hectic lives. Even more profoundly, many travelers are deciding that the best way to recharge may not be lying on a beach, but stepping outside of their normal routine to make a difference in the lives of others. The result is an experience that allows travelers to explore a culture in great depth, make new friends, and come home feeling that they have learned and benefited even more than those they have helped.
The book will provide a diverse range of volunteer vacations, with most trips easily accomplished within a one or two-week vacation. Following the highly successful format of Frommer’s 500 Places To Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up, chapters will be organized by subject, providing dozens of unique vacation ideas for any traveler:
- Introduction: How you know if a volunteer vacation is right for you, and what to ask
- Sharing your knowledge: teaching vacations
- Animal welfare: surveying wildlife, animal rescue
- Working with children: orphanages, at-risk youth, street kids
- Scientific research: archaeology, marine life
- Healing the environment: conservation work, trail building, tree planting
- Building better communities: construction projects and manual labor
- Share the health: AIDS education, working with the disabled, feeding the hungry
- Teaching through sport: coaching and training
- Bridging cultures: working with indigenous peoples, historical preservation, music
- Special events: becoming a festival volunteer
- Crossing generations: helping seniors
- Getting political: elections, human rights, refugee relief, community organizing
- Peace-building: conflict resolution and security
- Religious service: retreats and faith-based assistance
- Bringing expertise: opportunities for those with specialized skills
- Serving your kids: children-friendly trips that will open their eyes to the world
More and more people are waking up to the value of service and realizing that their vacation may be the best place to incorporate it into their hectic lives. This book provides a diverse range of volunteer vacations, with most trips easily accomplished within a one or two-week span.
Make a Profound Difference
in How You Travel
This guidebook leads you to places around the globe where you can serve communities while exploring them in a unique, connected way. From caring for orphans in Delhi, India, to teaching English on the beaches of Salvador, Brazil, to tracking dolphins in Oahu, Hawaii, or building a school in Madagascar, you'll find an adventure that matches your interests and lets you see your destination with new eyes.
The book will inspire you with both short- and long-term travel choices, while giving you accurate pricing, trip provider contact information, suggestions on nearby sites to visit, and advice on how to pick the right trip for you.
See the World in Extraordinary Ways
Care for baby elephants in Sri Lanka
Restore a medieval village in Tuscany, Italy
Work with scientists inside the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.
Live with the Maasai people in Kenya
Teach swimming to children in Fiji
Study mammoth bones in South Dakota
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Animal Welfare.
Rescue & Protection.
10 Beaches Where Wildlife Comes First.
Chapter 2 Working with Children.
10 Ways to Give Schools the Tools for Learning.
At-Risk Youth & Street Kids.
Safe Spaces to Play.
Chapter 3 Sharing Your Knowledge: Teaching Vacations.
English as a Second Language.
10 Places to Learn a Language While You Teach One.
Arts, Crafts & Business.
Libraries & Learning Centers.
Chapter 4 Scientific Research.
Museums, Zoos & Aquariums.
10 Ways to Help Find the Next Source of Energy.
Chapter 5 Healing the Environment.
Greening & Cleaning.
10 Places to Connect the World: Trail Building.
Farm & Ranch.
Chapter 6 Building Better Communities.
Construction & Manual Labor.
Clean Water Projects.
Rebuilding After Disaster.
Working with the Homeless.
10 Hotel & Volunteer Packages.
Chapter 7 Share the Health.
People with Special Needs.
10 Food Banks in Tourist Hot Spots.
Malaria & Other Diseases.
Chapter 8 Teaching Through Sport.
Coaching & Training.
10 Places to Shout "GOOOAAAALLLLL!!!".
Equipping the Game.
Chapter 9 Bridging Cultures.
Indigenous Peoples .
10 Ways to Keep Memories Alive: Oral History Projects.
Chapter 10 Special Events.
Festivals & Tournaments.
10 Charity Fundraisers: Making Them Happen.
Chapter 11 Crossing Generations.
Helping Seniors .
10 Trips for Grandparents and Grandchildren.
Family & Youth Trips.
Chapter 12 Getting Political.
10 Celebrity-Inspired Volunteer Opportunities.
Chapter 13 Peace-Building.
Conflict Resolution & Security.
10 Memorials Where Your Help is Monumental.
Healing Postwar Communities.
Working With & For Veterans.
Chapter 14 Spiritual Service.
10 Religious Pilgrimages with Service Elements.
Chapter 15 Bringing Expertise: Opportunities for Those with Specialized Skills.
10 Places to Bring Back Smiles: Dentistry Programs.
Choosing Which Volunteer Vacation Is Right for You.