Synopses & Reviews
Cruising is the perfect way to see America’s last frontier—wildlife and wilderness abound along the state’s breathtaking coastline, and are easily seen from the comfort of a deck chair or observation lounge.
Thoroughly updated every year, Frommer’s Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call is a compact guide that’s on top of all the latest developments and offerings in the rapidly changing cruise industry. Our author, a leading cruise journalists with years of experience, has compiled candid, first-hand reviews of each cruise line and each ship. The easy-to-use ratings, detailed drawings of each ship, and honest evaluations make it easy for you to find the cruise that suits your budget and your personal style, whether you want a luxury liner with fine dining or a small-ship cruise led by serious naturalists.
You’ll also find a nature guide that helps you understand what you’re seeing, complete with illustrations of glaciers and the various types of whales. We’ll show you how to get the best deals and how to maximize your time in the ports of call—all in one concise, pocket-sized volume.
You’ ll also find a nature guide that helps you understand what you’ re seeing, complete with illustrations of glaciers and the various types of whales. We’ ll show you how to get the best deals and how to maximize your time in the ports of call— all in one concise, pocket-sized volume.
Experience the best a place has to offer on the cruise that's right for you. Frommer's. Your trip begins with us.
- Exact prices, including brochure rates, with tips on how to find deep discounts, so you can plan the perfect trip no matter what your budget.
- Extensive descriptions of all the major ships sailing in Alaska, with information on everything from cabins and ship facilities to shore excursions and recreational activities.
- Comprehensive ship ratings that grade the essential elements of a cruise experience (dining, activities, children's programs, public areas, cleanliness, and overall enjoyment) from "poor" to "outstanding."
- Complete coverage of the Inside Passage and Gulf of Alaska, with off-the-beaten-path experiences and new takes on top attractions.
- Bonus wildlife guide in the appendix highlights the animals you're most likely to see—from whales to bald eagles to bears.
About the Author
was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and worked as a reporter for Scottish newspapers before joining the news department of the London Daily Mail
. Later, for 31 years, he was the West Coast Bureau Chief of a leading travel trade newspaper. He and Margaret, his wife and best editor, have two grown sons, a granddaughter, Victoria Rose, and two grandsons, Mason Patrick and Maddox Matthew.
Fran Wenograd Golden is travel editor of the Boston Herald, and a well-established travel writer. She is also author of TV Vacations: A Fun Guide to the Sites, the Stars, and the Inside Stories Behind Your Favorite TV Shows, and co-author (with Jerry) of Frommer’s European Cruises & Ports of Call. She lives in Boston and is the proud mother of Erin and Eli.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
What’s New in Alaska Cruising in 2007.
1 The Best of Alaska Cruising.
2 Choosing Your Ideal Cruise.
3 Booking Your Cruise & Getting the Best Price.
4 The Cruise Experience.
5 The Cruise Lines, Part 1: The Big Ships.
6 The Cruise Lines, Part 2: The Small Ships.
7 The Ports of Embarkation.
8 Ports & Wilderness Areas along the Inside Passage.
9 Ports & Wilderness Areas along the Gulf Route.
10 Cruisetour Destinations.
Appendix A: Alaska in Depth (Charles Wohlforth).
Appendix B: Alaska on the Wild Side (Charles Wohlforth).