Synopses & Reviews
Frommer's Great Britain
is a terrific first edition guide packed with tips for planning the perfect trip to Great Britain. We'll show you the best of London, including the world-class theater scene, then set off to explore the rest of Great Britain. You'll admire the spires of Oxford, kick back in the cozy pubs of Edinburgh, go rambling in the Cotswolds, tour the spectacular gardens and parks of Cardiff, and chow down on the best seafood in Scotland.
You'll find candid reviews of a huge selection of accommodations in all price ranges, from chic boutique hotels and stately country house lodgings to homey B&Bs. It's all accompanied by dozens of color maps, the latest trip-planning advice on everything from bargain airfares to rail passes, money-saving tips, and a complete shopper's guide. You'll even get a free color fold-out map and an online directory that makes trip-planning a snap!
Including an eight-page colour photograph insert and giant colour fold-out map, this is a comprehensive travel guide to all of England, Scotland and Wales. It also has a special illustrated section on British art and architecture.
Experience a place the way the locals do. Enjoy the best it has to offer. And avoid tourist traps. At Frommers, we use 150 outspoken travel experts around the world to help you make the right choices. Frommers. Your guide to a world of travel experience.
Choose the Only Guide That Gives You:
- Details on the best Great Britain has to offer, from Londons historic museums and palaces to the magnificent scenery of the Scottish Highlands and Welsh countryside.
- Outspoken opinions on whats worth your time and whats not.
- Exact prices, so you can plan the perfect trip no matter what your budget.
- Off-the-beaten-path experiences and undiscovered gems, plus new takes on top attractions.
- The best hotels and restaurants in every price range, with candid reviews.
About the Author
A native of North Carolina, Darwin Porter was a bureau chief for the Miami Herald when he was 21 and was assigned to write the very first edition of a Frommer’s guide devoted solely to one European country. Since then, he has written numerous best-selling Frommer’s guides, notably to France, Italy, and Germany. In 1982, he was joined in his research efforts across England by Danforth Prince, formerly of the Paris bureau of the New York Times, who has traveled in and written extensively about England. Together, they are also the authors of Frommer’s London, Frommer’s England, Frommer’s England from $70 a Day, and Frommer’s Scotland.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
What's New in Great Britain.
1. The Best of Britain.
2. A Traveler's Guide to Great Britain's Art & Architecture (Reid Bramblett).
3. Planning Your Trip to Great Britain.
4. Settling into London.
5. Exploring London.
6. Southeast England.
7. The South.
8. The West Country.
9. Shakespeare Country & the Heart of England.
10. Cambridge & Oxford.
11. The Northwest & the Lake District.
12. Yorkshire & Northumbria.
13. Edinburgh & the Lothian Region.
14. The Borders & Galloway Regions.
15. Glasgow & the Strathclyde Region.
16. Argyll & the Southern Hebrides.
17. Fife & the Central Highlands.
18. Aberdeen & the Tayside & Grampian Regions.
19. Inverness & the West Highlands.
20. Cardiff & South Wales.
21. North Wales.
Appendix: Great Britain in Depth.
1. British History 101.