Synopses & Reviews
If you like to spend your free time outside, this four-season guide is for youwhether you want to hike in Yosemite, cross-country ski in the Sierra High Country, relax by a hot spring, or kayak in Monterey Bay. Look inside for all the information you need to explore Northern California at its finest. Everything You Need to Enjoy the Outdoors:
- Evocative descriptions of hundreds of outingswith estimated times, difficulty ratings, and detailed directions
- The best outfitters, from major adventure-tour operators to local backcountry guides
- Where to find gear, services, and topo maps
- How to make the most of Northern California's natural areas and public lands
- Where to pitch your tent, from car-accessible campsites to backcountry spotsplus inns, B&Bs, and lodges
- Detailed regional maps that direct you to the trailheads
Visit us online at www.frommers.com
Completely rewritten and researched by a lifelong resident and serious outdoorsman, this detailed guide packs in all the diverse adventures waiting for travelers in Northern California. From Yosemite to sea kayaking to the best golf courses, readers will find an array of outings just right for them.
Completely rewritten and researched firsthand by a lifelong resident and serious outdoorsman, this detailed guide packs in all the diverse adventures waiting for you in Northern California: skiing Tahoe, hiking the backcountry trails of Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon, road biking in the Wine Country and along the coast, sea kayaking amid otters and sea lions, tidepooling, and teeing off at some of the country's best golf courses. Whatever your skill level and interests, you'll find an array of outings just right for you.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
Introduction to the Second Edition.
1. The Basics.
2. The San Francisco Bay Area.
4. Big Sur, the Ventana Wilderness & Pinnacles National Monument.
5. The Wine Country & Delta.
6. The Sierra Nevada.
7. The Gold Country.
8. The Northern Mountains.
9. The North Coast.