Synopses & Reviews
Free full-color, foldout map
Completely updated every year
- Insider advice on avoiding the crowds as you explore some of Italy's greatest gems, from the Uffizi in Florence to the Vatican Museum in Rome, and from the ruins at Pompeii to Venice's St. Mark's basilica. Plus tips for navigating the country's lovely but less-traveled corners, like the Marches, the Dolomites, and even Sardinia.
- Where to find the absolute best seafood in Venice, the loveliest vineyards in Tuscany, the tastiest pizza in Naples, and, of course, the finest gelato that Italy has to offer.
- Insightful commentary on Italy's dazzling array of art and architectural masterpieces, from Michelangelo's statue of David to the glories of St. Peter's in Rome.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Hundreds of color photos
Free pocket map inside,plus easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
About the Author
As a team of veteran travel writers, Darwin Porter
and Danforth Prince
have produced numerous titles for Frommer’s which have included France, Italy, the Caribbean, Spain, and Germany.
Porter wrote the fi rst ever Frommer’s guide to Paris and the fi rst ever Frommer’s guide to a single European country—back then it was called England on $5 a Day. He has lived, on occasion, in London and has traveled England extensively since he left college. In 1982, he was joined by Danforth Prince, who was previously employed by the Paris bureau of the New York Times. Today he is the president of Blood Moon Productions and other media-related fi rms. Porter is also a fi lm critic, columnist, broadcaster, and Hollywood biographer.
Table of Contents
List of Maps viii
1 THE BEST OF ITALY 1
2 ITALY IN DEPTH 24
3 SUGGESTED ITALY ITINERARIES 55
4 SETTLING INTO ROME 81
5 EXPLORING ROME 135
6 FLORENCE 198
7 TUSCANY, UMBRIA & THE MARCHES 275
8 BOLOGNA & EMILIA-ROMAGNA 382
9 VENICE 427
10 THE VENETO & THE DOLOMITES 510
11 MILAN, LOMBARDY & THE LAKE DISTRICT 563
12 PIEDMONT & VALLE D’AOSTA 629
13 GENOA & THE ITALIAN RIVIERA 654
14 CAMPANIA: NAPLES, POMPEII & THE AMALFI COAST 693
15 APULIA 783
16 SICILY 807
17 SARDINIA 883
18 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO ITALY 904
19 MOLTO ITALIANO 936