Synopses & Reviews
Map your own adventure.
Japan Day by Day is the perfect answer for travelers who want to know the best places to visit and the best way to see the Land of the Rising Sun.
- Packed with 107 detailed full-color maps and more than 700 full-color photos
- 83 regional and city itineraries that will help you maximize your time while touring the country's top sights. Tour the Tokyo’s top museums, the subculture of Osaka, Hiroshima's Peace Park, brave the arctic winds of Hokkaido, or just relax on the Okinawan Islands.
- Our authors, longtime Japan experts, hit all the highlights, from the top temples and castles to more offbeat destinations like Tokyo's fish market, Jigokudani's snow-monkey hot springs, or Naruto’s whirlpools. They've checked out all of the country's best hotels and restaurants in person, and offer authoritative, candid reviews that will help you find the choices that suit your tastes and budget.
- You'll also get coverage of shopping and nightlife in the major cities; a full chapter on Japan’s rich history and culture, information on special-interest tours, and advice on planning a successful Japanese vacation.
- The cultural "Spotlight" sections take a closer look at the most compelling aspects of Japanese culture and include how to drink sake, the history of the samurai, and a crib sheet on contemporary Japanese writers.
- Frommer's Japan Day by Day also includes a color fold-out map.
Frommer's Day by Day Guides - IN FULL COLOR
- Pocket size
- More than 1 million copies sold
- Full-color package at an affordable price
- Includes pull-out map
Frommer's Day by Day Guides - IN FULL COLORPocket sizeMore than 1 million copies soldFull-color package at an affordable priceIncludes pull-out map
Map your adventure
Plan a trip that suits your interests. Follow our recommended itineraries or mix & match to create your own. Explore a region in depth or hit the highlights. With Frommer's Day by Day guides, the choice is yours.
81 self-guided tours with maps that show how to get from place to place
Hundreds of photos, plus engaging insights on history and culture
Detailed reviews of hotels, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife
Full-sized foldout map of Japan in a handy plastic envelope
About the Author
Spotlight on Japan
Complete coverage of Japan's history and culture begins on page 506. The following features take a closer look at the most compelling aspects of Japanese culture.
Master of the "Floating World" (page 138): The life and times of Katsushika Hokusai, the iconic illustrator and manga originator
Samurai Spirits (page 166):Profiles of swordsmen superheroes from a bygone era
Meet the Mascots (page 228): "Kawaii!" A guide to the cute characters that represent Japan
Brew of the Gods (page 258): Sake, Japan's most delectable liquid asset, explained
Ghosts & Goblins (page 294): Get down and dirty with creepy-crawlies from centuries of folklore
Holy Houses (page 326): A primer to understanding the ins and outs of Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines
Down the Hatch (page 362): Drink, eat, and be merry in izakayasJapan's own gastropubs
A Home for All Seasons (page 426): Form marries function in traditional homes from the Edo Era
Fathers of the Modern Novel (page 530): A who's who of Japanese postwar literary masters