Synopses & Reviews
- Free full-color, foldout map
- Insider advice from our author, a local expert who hits all the highlights, from the Sunset Strip to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. She's checked out all the city's best hotels and restaurants in person, and offers authoritative, candid reviews that will help you find the choices that suit your tastes and budget. You'll also get up-to-the-minute coverage of shopping, spas, and nightlife; in-depth coverage of Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm; and advice on side trips to Long Beach, the South Coast, and Santa Catalina Island.
- Where to find the best hotels at every price point, the newest restaurants and food trucks, the best free experiences including free museum hours, the best surfing beaches, the most scenic drives, plus how to land a spot on a gameshow.
- Insightful commentary on navigating the roads, including where not to drive and when--plus tips on everything from navigating museums to spotting celebrities.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
From Marina Peninsula, explore Venice Beach's bohemian Ocean Front Walk, or kayak Marina del Rey. See chapter 6.
Free pocket map inside,plus easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
Find news, deals, apps, and expert advice,plus connect with other travelers at Frommers.com
About the Author
Tara de Lis, a native Angeleno, has been a professional writer and editor for more than 10 years. She has previously worked for Citysearch.com (as the L.A. City Editor), the Walt Disney Internet Group, and The Big Issue, and has been published by L.A. Times magazine, Gayot, dineLA, AOL, and CitySpots. She spends her “free time” scoping out new restaurants and hand-crafted cocktails.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vi
1 THE BEST OF LOS ANGELES 1
2 LOS ANGELES IN DEPTH 9
3 LOS ANGELES NEIGHBORHOODS & SUGGESTED ITINERARIES 25
4 WHERE TO STAY 40
5 WHERE TO EAT 82
6 WHAT TO SEE & DO IN LOS ANGELES 132
7 THE DISNEYLAND RESORT & KNOTT'S BERRY FARM 195
8 SHOPS & SPAS 217
9 LOS ANGELES AFTER DARK 243
10 SIDE TRIPS FROM LOS ANGELES 268
11 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO LOS ANGELES 311