Synopses & Reviews
- Completely updated every year.
- Insider advice from a local expert. Our author, a former Moscow-based AP correspondent, hits all the highlights, from Red Squaqre to the Hermitage. She's checked out both cities' best hotels and restaurants in person, and offers authoritative, candid reviews that will help you find the choices that suit your tastes and budget.
- Where to find the best dining from fresh fish to street food to opulent 19th Century cafes; the best accommodations from hostel to hotels fit for royalty; the best shops for linens, lacquer boxes, vodka, and nesting dolls; the best oddball attractions including Lenin's Mausoleum.
- Opinionated reviews. You'll get the author's favorite experiences: viewing Red Square at night, steaming stress away at a banya, taking the trans-Siberian railroad, sipping Baltika beer at Patriarch's Ponds, and enjoying a night out at the Mariinsky Theater.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Planning your visit to St. Petersburg's dazzling, enormous Heritage Museum is key. See chapter 13.
Easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
Find news, deals, apps, expert advice,and travel forums at Frommers.com
About the Author
Angela Charlton moved to Russia in the early 1990s and spent most of the ensuing decade in the former Soviet Union working as a journalist. She was the Moscow correspondent for the Associated Press for six years, and she also studied in St. Petersburg and worked in Kiev. She is currently a journalist based in Paris.
Table of Contents
List of Maps viii
1 THE BEST OF MOSCOW &
ST. PETERSBURG 1
2 MOSCOW & ST. PETERSBURG IN DEPTH 10
3 MOSCOW NEIGHBORHOODS & SUGGESTED ITINERARIES 40
4 WHERE TO STAY IN MOSCOW 55
5 WHERE TO EAT IN MOSCOW 77
6 EXPLORING MOSCOW 98
7 SHOPPING IN MOSCOW 130
8 MOSCOW AFTER DARK 143
9 SIDE TRIPS FROM MOSCOW 158
10 ST. PETERSBURG NEIGHBORHOODS & SUGGESTED ITINERARIES 173
11 WHERE TO STAY IN ST. PETERSBURG 187
12 WHERE TO EAT IN ST. PETERSBURG 205
13 EXPLORING ST. PETERSBURG 222
14 SHOPPING IN ST. PETERSBURG 247
15 ST. PETERSBURG AFTER DARK 257
16 SIDE TRIPS FROM ST. PETERSBURG 268
17 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO MOSCOW & ST. PETERSBURG 282
18 USEFUL RUSSIAN TERMS & PHRASES 315
General Index 325