Synopses & Reviews
- Insider advice on visiting 35 of the most stunning and rewarding national parks in America from authors who know them inside and out.
- Where to find the absolute best hiking trails, ranger programs, scenery, wildlife viewing, and campgrounds.
- Insightful commentary on everything from the history of the parks to their natural attractions, including flora and fauna, to finding the best times to visit, avoiding crowds, and finding the right place to stay.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Frommer's Complete GuidesAmerica's #1 bestselling travel seriesMore full-color guides than ever beforeFoldout maps in annual guidesOutspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Experience local flora, fauna, and birds in Olympic and other Western National Parks. See chapter 26.
Detailed maps of regions, parks, and trails
Exact prices, directions, and other practical information
Candid reviews of places to stay,eat, camp, and stock up on supplies
Insider tips from park personnel and advice on how to avoid the crowds
Find news, deals, apps, expert advice,and travel forums at Frommers.com
About the Author
Residents of northern New Mexico for more than 40 years, Don
and Barbara Laine
have traveled extensively throughout the Rocky Mountains and the Southwest, exploring the mountains and deserts with their always-curious dogs. The Laines have authored or contributed to a number of Frommer's travel guides, including Frommer's Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks
and Frommer's Utah
. They have also written Little-Known Southwest, New Mexico & Arizona State Parks
, and Best Short Hikes in Arizona
for The Mountaineers Books; and The New Mexico Guide
for Fulcrum Publishing.
A Denver-based freelance writer, Eric Peterson has contributed to numerous Frommer's guides covering the American West, and has written Frommer's Montana & Wyoming, Frommer's Colorado, Frommer's Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks, and Ramble: A Field Guide to the U.S.A. Peterson also writes about travel and other topics for such publications as ColoradoBiz, Delta Sky, and the New York Daily News. In his free time, he's an avid camper and hiker, a lifelong Broncos fan, and a part-time rock star (at least in the eyes of his niece Olivia and nephews Mitch and Sam).
Jack Olson, a longtime resident of Denver, wanders the Rockies and the entire country as a freelance photographer and writer. He writes travel articles and supplies photographs for AAA magazines, and his photos have been seen in such publications as Backpacker, Audubon, Sierra, and National Geographic Books.
Shane Christensen has written extensively for Frommer's, including in Latin America, Europe, and the United States. Originally from California, he knows the American Southwest well and returns each year to the Grand Canyon to explore its wonders and ensure the accuracy of this guide. Shane has also held a variety of diplomatic assignments with the U.S. Department of State, and he is currently a research scholar and faculty advisor at Columbia University.
Table of Contents
List of Maps xi
1 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO THE NATIONAL PARKS OF THE AMERICAN WEST 1
2 ARCHES NATIONAL PARK, UT 16
3 BADLANDS NATIONAL PARK, SD 31
4 BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX 40
5 BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK, CO 54
6 THE BLACK HILLS: MOUNT RUSHMORE NATIONAL MEMORIAL, WIND CAVE NATIONAL PARK, JEWEL CAVE NATIONAL MONUMENT & CUSTER STATE PARK, SD 61
7 BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK & GRAND STAIRCASE–ESCALANTE NATIONAL MONUMENT, UT 82
8 CANYONLANDS NATIONAL PARK, UT 98
9 CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK, UT 109
10 CARLSBAD CAVERNS NATIONAL PARK, NM 121
11 CHANNEL ISLANDS NATIONAL PARK, CA 132
12 CRATER LAKE NATIONAL PARK, OR 146
13 DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK & MOJAVE NATIONAL PRESERVE, CA 156
14 DEVILS TOWER NATIONAL MONUMENT, WY 173
15 GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, MT & WATERTON LAKES NATIONAL PARK, AB 179
16 GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, AZ 199
17 GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK, WY 230
18 GREAT BASIN NATIONAL PARK, NV 255
19 GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK & PRESERVE, CO 264
20 GUADALUPE MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK, TX 271
21 JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK, CA 279
22 LASSEN VOLCANIC NATIONAL PARK, CA 292
23 MESA VERDE, HOVENWEEP, CHACO & OTHER ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES OF THE FOUR CORNERS REGION 300
24 MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, WA 314
25 NORTH CASCADES NATIONAL PARK, WA 330
26 OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK, WA 345
27 PETRIFIED FOREST NATIONAL PARK, AZ 362
28 POINT REYES NATIONAL SEASHORE, CA 370
29 REDWOOD NATIONAL & STATE PARKS, CA 379
30 ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK, CO 388
31 SAGUARO NATIONAL PARK, AZ 405
32 SEQUOIA & KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, CA 415
33 THEODORE ROOSEVELT NATIONAL PARK, ND 435
34 YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WY & LITTLE BIGHORN BATTLEFIELD NATIONAL MONUMENT, MT 444
35 YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA 477
36 ZION NATIONAL PARK & CEDAR BREAKS NATIONAL MONUMENT, UT 505
37 FIELD GUIDE TO WESTERN WILDLIFE 523
38 AIRLINE, HOTEL & CAR RENTAL WEBSITES 529