Synopses & Reviews
Free full-color, foldout map
- Insider advice on the best way to experience Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and all of the city's famous music and nightlife.
- Where to find the absolute best food in the Big Easy, from upscale Creole dining in the French Quarter to po' boys in the Central Business District to seafood and New American cuisine in the Garden District.
- Insightful commentary on New Orleans's fantastic historical heritage, as wells as on its extraordinary museums, art galleries, and architecture.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writer is passionate about New Orleans.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides - IN FULL COLOR
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
- Hundreds of color photos
- Free pocket map inside,plus easy-to-read maps throughout
- Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
- Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
- Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
- Insider tips from local expert authors
About the Author
Diana Schwam fell for New Orleans like a klutz. She traveled the state, scoured the city, and eventually set down roots in Mid-City, convenient to the Jazz Fest Fair Grounds and Angelo Brocato’s ice-cream parlor. A strategic marketing consultant and writer, Diana contributes to several trade publications and blogs, splits her time between New Orleans and Southern California, and currently sports a silver Gulf oyster pendant.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vi
1 THE BEST OF NEW ORLEANS 1
2 NEW ORLEANS IN DEPTH 11
3 MARDI GRAS, JAZZ FEST & OTHER FESTIVALS 37
4 SUGGESTED NEW ORLEANS ITINERARIES 57
5 WHERE TO STAY 76
6 WHERE TO EAT 111
7 SIGHTS TO SEE & PLACES TO BE 161
8 CITY STROLLS 217
9 SHOPPING 246
10 NEW ORLEANS AFTER DARK 265
11 SIDE TRIPS FROM NEW ORLEANS 303
12 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO NEW ORLEANS 343