Synopses & Reviews
- Full-color throughout
- Free full-color, foldout map
- Completely updated every year
- Insider advice on saving time, money and avoiding crowds as you explore some New York City’s prime attractions, from the Museum of Natural History to the new 9/11 Memorial Plaza, as well as hidden gems like the Museum of Chinese in America and the Louis Armstrong Home & Museum in Queens.
- Where to find the best burgers, pizza, bagels and barbecue in NYC…as well as the hottest new eateries, beloved classic restaurants, and exotic tastes for every appetite and budget.
- Insightful commentary on the art and architecture of New York City, from Colonial days to the new towers that reshape the 21st century skyline of Manhattan.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Frommer's Complete GuidesAmerica's #1 bestselling travel seriesMore full-color guides than ever beforeFoldout maps in annual guidesOutspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
- Hundreds of photos
- Free pocket map inside, plus easy-to-read maps throughout
- Exact prices, directions, opening hours, and other practical information
- Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants, plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
- Itineraries, themed tours, and trip-planning ideas
- Insider tips from local expert authors
About the Author
(Senior Writer, Best of New York City, Exploring New York City, Where to Stay, Where to Eat chapters) is a freelance writer whose work has been published in Saveur
, The New Yorker
, Caribbean Travel & Life
, and Four Seasons
. Among the many topics he writes about are food, travel, sports, and music. He is the author of numerous books including Going, Going, Gone: History, Lore, and Mystique of the Home Run
, and the Twentieth Century Treasury of Sports
. He is also the author of the blog Fried Neck Bones
…and Some Home Fries
at www.friedneckbones.wordpress.com. For Frommer's, he has written Complete, Portable, and budget Guides to New York City, as well as New York City For Dummies
. He lives in Manhattan with his wife and children.
Kelsy Chauvin (Best of New York City, New York City In Depth, Planning Your Trip, Neighborhoods and Suggested Itineraries, Shopping, After Dark chapters) is a writer, photographer and filmmaker. Her first trip abroad was to Uzbekistan at age 15, a journey that sparked a lifelong thirst for travel. Her writing and photography has been published in magazines, online, and in various Frommer's publications. She lives in Brooklyn. "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." —Susan Sontag
Table of Contents
List of Maps vii
1 THE BEST OF THE BIG APPLE 1
2 NEW YORK CITY IN DEPTH 18
3 NEW YORK CITY NEIGHBORHOODS & SUGGESTED ITINERARIES 50
4 EXPLORING NEW YORK CITY 85
5 WHERE TO EAT 199
6 SHOPPING 279
7 NEW YORK CITY ENTERTAINMENT & NIGHTLIFE 327
8 WHERE TO STAY 392
9 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO NEW YORK CITY 445