Synopses & Reviews
The outspoken guide that helpsyou find your inner cheapskate
- Free Music:Classical music, jazz quartets, and cutting-edge bands.
- Free Speech:A-list plays, quick-witted comedy, and readings by the world's hottest authors.
- Free Food:The best happy hours, plus where to score delectabledirt-cheap eats––from the city's best burger to a sit-down meal in Soho.
- Free Films:Outdoors and indoors, from indies to cult faves.
- Free Classes:Take a morning tai chi class, learn to identify a good cabernet, or find out how to start your own business.
"In the land of $49 burgers and $1,000-a-night hotel rooms, author Ethan Wolff shows that the adventurous budgettraveler can still do the Big Apple in style. Written forresidents as well as visitors, this guide has plenty of goodclear maps and a chapter of free and cheap itineraries."
—San Francisco Chronicle
"Great info . . . This irreverent insider's guide gets points for flagging overrated attractions."
—The Washington Post
"When Ethan told me he was a specialist in adventure travel, I didn't realize that meant trying to find $5 dates in New York City."
—Janet Baca, former girlfriend
Book your trip and findgreat deals at Frommers.com
"Frommer’ s New York City For Free "& Dirt Cheap will catalog the endless free opportunities available in the Big Apple, appealing to both visitors and natives alike. Our local expert author will show readers: how to gain free entrance to plays, concerts, museums, and TV show tapings; where to find free classes; how to get to get a free boat ride passed the Statue of Liberty; where to find free food, including happy hours, free gourmet samples, and half-price meals; how to get a free haircut or highlights at a leading salon, and much more. Tourism to New York City is on the rebound; after a dip due to Sept. 11, visitors to NYC went up to over 35 million in 2002. The City of New York/Parks & Recreation sponsors over 150 free events in New York City each year, including concerts, plays, dance, international festivals, sports, and a variety of classes. Seventeen of New York City’ s Museums are free every day; 16 others accept “ pay what you can” or suggested contributions. Almost all of New York’ s major museums are free to the public 1 day of the week or month.
- Written by a local expert and designed for visitors and residents alike, this savvy guide delivers the inside scoop on New York City deals, bargains, and freebies
- Shows how to gain free admission to plays, concerts, TV show tapings, and museums (17 are free every day, and almost all are free at least one day a month)
- Explains where to chow down on cheap eats-happy hours, free gourmet samples, half-price meals-plus free haircuts, classes, and much more
'Now you don’t have to spend big bucks to enjoy the Big Apple. Perfect for residents and visitors alike, this outspoken guide is packed with free and dirt-cheap ways to get the most out of New York City, from food, drinks, and entertainment to shopping, events, classes, and more. '
Praise for Ethan Wolff, author of Frommer's NYC Free & Dirt Cheap:
"He told me he was a specialist in adventure travel. I didn't realize that meant trying to find $5 dates in New York City."
—Janet Baca, former girlfriend
"If he's half as skilled at writing as he is at finding coins under the cushions of the couch, it'll be a great book."
—Grace Goldman, great aunt
"Ethan told me that for $50, he'd get my name on the cover of a book."
—Roy Wolff, father
Whether you're in the city for a few days or live here year-round, this outspoken guide will help you channel your inner cheapskate.
- Free Music: Classical music, jazz quartets, and cutting-edge bands.
- Free Speech: A-list plays, quick-witted comedy, and readings by the world's hottest authors.
- Free Food: The best happy hours, plus where to score delectable dirt-cheap eats - from the city's best burger to a sit-down meal in Soho.
- Free Films: Outdoors and indoors, from indies to cult faves.
- Free Classes: Take a morning tai chi class, learn to identify a good Cabernet, or find out how to start your own business.
About the Author
Ethan Wolffis a native New Yorker (born and raised in Virginia, but that was a geographic anomaly). He lives in the heart of the Bargin District, on the Lower East Side. His other books include Frommer's Irreverent Guide to Manhattanand Frommer's Memorable Walks in New York.
Table of Contents
List of Maps.
The Best Things in Life Are Free.
1. Best of the Free & Dirt Cheap Apple.
3. Eating & Drinking.
6. Exploring New York.
7. Free & Dirt Cheap Days.