Synopses & Reviews
- Insider advice from a New Zealand resident on how to experience one of the world’s most exciting ecotourism destinations! It’s much more complete and in-depth than its major competition.
- Where to find the most thrilling adrenaline-pumping adventures, from bungy jumping to Zorbing; the best New Zealand cuisine, such as sumptuous green-lipped mussels and succulent lamb; and the best nightlife options in Auckland and Wellington.
- Insightful commentary on Maori cultural traditions and tourism in the wake of the devestating February 2011 Christchurch earthquake.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Frommer's Complete GuidesAmerica's #1 bestselling travel seriesMore full-color guides than ever beforeFoldout maps in annual guidesOutspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Base yourself in Blenheim or Picton for an exploration of Marlborough, New Zealand's largest and most spectacular wine region. See chapter 12.
Easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
Find news, deals, apps, expert advice,and travel forums at Frommers.com
About the Author
Photojournalist Adrienne Rewi’s passion for words and writing has taken her throughout Asia and into almost every writing genre and every subject. When not organizing her next overseas trip, taking photographs, or writing her next book, she is based in Christchurch writing for numerous New Zealand and international magazines. She is the author of seven editions of the bestselling travel guide Frommer’s New Zealand, Frommer’s New Zealand Day by Day, and has published three other non-fiction titles and assorted short stories.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vii
1 THE BEST OF NEW ZEALAND 1
2 NEW ZEALAND IN DEPTH 12
3 SUGGESTED NEW ZEALAND ITINERARIES 42
4 THE ACTIVE VACATION PLANNER 61
5 AUCKLAND 79
6 NORTHLAND & COROMANDEL 142
7 WAIKATO & BAY OF PLENTY 171
8 ROTORUA, TAUPO & TONGARIRO NATIONAL PARK 184
9 GISBORNE & HAWKE’S BAY 222
10 TARANAKI & WANGANUI 245
11 WELLINGTON 260
12 MARLBOROUGH & NELSON 298
13 CHRISTCHURCH & CANTERBURY 328
14 WEST COAST & THE GLACIERS 371
15 QUEENSTOWN & ENVIRONS 397
16 DUNEDIN, SOUTHLAND & STEWART ISLAND 451
17 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO NEW ZEALAND 490
18 KIWI TERMS & PHRASES 518