Synopses & Reviews
- Insider advice on avoiding the crowds as you explore some of Provence & the Riviera's greatest gems, from the beaches of Nice to the swanky casinos of Monte Carlo. Plus tips for navigating the region's lovely towns, like Avignon, Gordes, Rousillon, and Roquebrune.
- Where to find the loveliest vineyards (and the best wine) in Provence, the tastiest bouillabaise in Marseilles, and the best calissons (almond-flavored sweets) in Aix-en-Provence.
- Insightful commentary on the area's rich history, from the ancient Romans, who left their mark on towns like Nimes, to the impressionist artists, like Paul Cezanne, Auguste Renoir, and Vincent van Gogh, who called the area home.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Explore the port in pretty Saint-Tropez, where small fishing boats and luxury yachts bob on shimmering water. See chapter 6.
Detailed maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
Find news, deals, apps, expert advice,and travel forums at Frommers.com
About the Author
is an award-winning travel writer and journalist and a member of the British Guild of Travel Writers. Based in Hertfordshire, England, she worked at the BBC for many years before going freelance in 1997. Since then she has written extensively about France, her articles appearing in The Independent newspapers, The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian, Le Monde, France magazine, and MSN Travel, among many others. She has been writing for Frommer’s since 2009, and this, her first guidebook for the company, gave her the opportunity to focus on her two favorite regions of France: Provence and Languedoc-Roussillon.
Louise Simpson is a travel writer based in Southern France. Having studied French and Spanish at Cambridge University, she worked for a decade in London as a PR director for two leading travel PR agencies and as a writer for numerous U.K. newspapers and magazines including The Independent on Sunday, Vogue, Timesonline, and Financial Times. Since moving to Provence with her husband and two children, she has authored nine print and online travel guides to Southern France.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vi
1 THE BEST OF PROVENCE & THE RIVIERA 1
2 PROVENCE & THE RIVIERA IN DEPTH 16
3 SUGGESTED PROVENCE & THE RIVIERA ITINERARIES 43
4 LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON 59
5 PROVENCE 109
6 THE WESTERN CÔTE & INLAND VAR 188
7 THE FRENCH RIVIERA 230
8 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO PROVENCE & THE RIVIERA 342
9 USEFUL TERMS & PHRASES 360