Synopses & Reviews
- The best of the great outdoors, from hiking the Swiss mountains to exploring the sparkling lakes of central Switzerland--and even strolling along the palm-lined waterfront promenades in the Ticino.
- Insider advice on planning your ideal ski vacation, whether you prefer schussing down a Swiss mountainside in isolation and retiring to a peaceful mountain hut or hitting the slopes with a crowd and spending the evening mingling with Europe's glitterati.
- Our authors guide you to the most unforgettable "only in Switzerland experiences," such as the Zibelemärit onion festival in Bern and the marvel of Swiss engineering that is the Glacier Express.
- The best of Swiss art and architecture, from the historic cathedrals of Bern and Basel to the Museum Rietberg in Zurich.
- Opinionated write-ups. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writers are passionate about their destinations--they tell it like it is in an engaging and helpful way.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- All Complete guides offer user-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Frommer's Complete GuidesAmerica's #1 bestselling travel seriesMore full-color guides than ever beforeFoldout maps in annual guidesOutspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
Relive Lucerne's early history at the Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrücke), where 122 paintings depict events from the city's past. See chapter 12.
Easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
About the Author
A team of veteran travel writers, Darwin Porter and Danforth Prince, have written Frommer’s Switzerland since the inception of the guide. Porter has also written separate guides over the years to both Zurich and Geneva. They have also written other Frommer’s guides to Europe, including Germany, Italy, Spain, and Austria, plus city and regional guides to Frankfurt, Munich, and the Bavarian Alps, Vienna and the Danube, and Berlin. Porter is a Hollywood and political biographer, a radio broadcaster, and a columnist. Prince, a former member of the Paris bureau of The New York Times, is also president of Blood Moon Productions.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vii
1 THE BEST OF SWITZERLAND 1
2 SWITZERLAND IN DEPTH 15
3 SUGGESTED SWITZERLAND ITINERARIES 47
4 ZURICH 64
5 NORTHEASTERN SWITZERLAND 121
6 BASEL & THE JURA 141
7 BERN 169
8 THE BERNESE OBERLAND 194
9 THE VALAIS 233
10 LAUSANNE & LAKE GENEVA 260
11 GENEVA 291
12 LUCERNE & CENTRAL SWITZERLAND 343
13 THE GRISONS 376
14 THE ENGADINE 401
15 LUGANO, LOCARNO & THE TICINO 426
16 LIECHTENSTEIN 454
17 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO SWITZERLAND 467