Synopses & Reviews
- Insider advice on navigating local markets, from souvenirs to street food, plus detailed itineraries focused on everything from highlights to history.
- Where to find the newest and best boutiques, hotels, and restaurants, plus local spots off the beaten tourist track.
- Insightful commentary on Angkor Wat in a dedicated Cambodia chapter, plus an in-depth view at Vietnam's rich culture and history.
- Opinionated reviews. No bland descriptions and lukewarm recommendations. Our expert writer, a resident of Southeast Asia, is passionate and knowledgeable about the destination.
- Exact prices listed for every establishment and activity--no other guides offer such detailed, candid reviews of hotels and restaurants. We include the very best, but also emphasize moderately priced choices for real people.
- User-friendly features including star ratings and special icons to point readers to great finds, excellent values, insider tips, best bets for kids, special moments, and overrated experiences.
Frommer's Complete Guides
- America's #1 bestselling travel series
- More full-color guides than ever before
- Foldout maps in annual guides
- Outspoken opinions, exact prices, and insider tips
You'll need more than a day to explore the sprawling temple complex of Angkor Wat in Cambodia. See chapter 14.
Easy-to-read maps throughout
Exact prices, directions, opening hours,and other practical information
Candid reviews of hotels and restaurants,plus sights, shopping, and nightlife
Itineraries, walking tours, and trip-planning ideas
Insider tips from local expert authors
Find news, deals, apps, expert advice,and travel forums at Frommers.com
About the Author
Ron Emmons taught English in Africa and the Americas before moving to Thailand, where he now works as a freelance writer/photographer. He is the author and photographer of Portrait of Thailand and Walks Along the Thames Path (New Holland, UK), as well as writer of Spiral Guide to the Dominican Republic (Automobile Association, UK). Ron has also made major contributions to several other guide books, such as Top Ten Bangkok (Dorling Kindersley, UK), the Rough Guide to Vietnam, and National Geographic Traveler Vietnam.
Table of Contents
List of Maps vii
1 THE BEST OF VIETNAM 1
2 VIETNAM IN DEPTH 7
3 SUGGESTED ITINERARIES IN VIETNAM 34
4 ACTIVE VACATION PLANNER 49
5 HANOI 55
6 THE NORTHERN HIGHLANDS 117
7 NORTHEASTERN COAST 147
8 NORTH-CENTRAL VIETNAM 163
9 CENTRAL VIETNAM 175
10 THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS 222
11 SOUTH-CENTRAL VIETNAM 251
12 HO CHI MINH CITY (SAIGON) 281
13 THE MEKONG DELTA 337
14 CAMBODIA 355
15 PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO VIETNAM 427
16 THE VIETNAMESE LANGUAGE 449