Synopses & Reviews
'Stuart Fieldhouse's wealth of experience within the financial industry has enabled him to provide a truly independent, valuable and unique resource for forex traders.'
Michael Morton, The Armchair Trader
'A fantastic introduction to foreign exchange trading. Stuart writes in plain language for the beginner, yet provides an excellent reference resource for the more experienced forex trader.'
Greg White, Director, Accendo Markets
The Financial Times Guide to Foreign Exchange Trading is an authoritative introduction to one of the worlds largest and most liquid financial markets.
Whether you are a beginner wanting to start out in forex tradingm or a more experienced investor looking to expand your knowledge of this market, this book is your essential guide to all aspects of foreign exchange markets. With practical guidance and instantly applicable advice, this book will give you a solid grounding in the currency markets, what makes them move and how to trade them.
The Financial Times Guide to Foreign Exchange Trading
· provides an overview of forex markets including major currency pairs, popular currencies and emerging markets currencies
· explains how major economic announcements can affect forex markets
· advises on how to mitigate risk and how to avoid losing all your capital
· shows you how to integrate currencies into your wider investment strategy
· suggests approaches and useful resources including top forex brokerages and the services they offer
An introduction to the to the $1.5 billion foreign exchange trading marketplace, one of the fastest growing global financial markets, showing you how the markets work, how to trade them successfully and how to mitigate risk.
An introduction to the fast growing $1.5 billion foreign exchange trading marketplace, showing you how the markets work, how to trade them successfully and how to mitigate risk.
The Financial Times Guide to Foreign Exchange Trading is the authoritative primer, the first port of call for anyone interested in foreign exchange trading and wants to know what it is all about before taking the plunge.
About the Author
Stuart Fieldhouse is an experienced financial journalist, having spent many years at the FT Group. He has also worked with the product development team at CMC Markets, one of the leading financial spread betting companies, working on the dealing floor, as well as with the global head of trading, matching new markets to spread betting products. He has also worked very closely with hedge funds over the years and has experience of writing for both the retail and professional market.
Table of Contents
- How do FX markets work?
- Why is FX so important?
- Why trade foreign exchange?
Ch1: Foreign exchange markets
- How are currencies priced?
- The role of central banks
- Whos who in central banking
- FX and macroeconomics
Ch2: Financial indicators: FX signposts
- Interest rates
- Government statistics
- Other indicators (e.g. non-farm pay-rolls)
Ch3: The currency majors
- US dollar
- Japanese yen
- Swiss franc
- Australian dollar
- Canadian dollar
Ch4: The best of the rest
- Non-euro European currencies (Norway, Denmark, Turkish lira, etc)
- Asia Pacific currencies (Hong Kong dollar, New Zealand dollar, etc)
- Developing market currencies (South African rand, Brazilian real)
- Getting exposure to hard-to-trade currencies (Chinese yuan, Russian rouble, etc)
Ch5: Opening your trading account
- Spread betting
- Forex lots
- Futures and options
- Exchange-traded currencies
- Currency funds
- Choosing an FX broker
- How to avoid being scammed
- Regulation of FX broking
Ch6: Margin trading and risk management
- Trading on margin - why you need it
- Managing your cash
- Margin calls
- Risk management tools
- How to manage margin
Ch7: Charting FX markets
- Charting and the cult of technical analysis
- Why do I need charts?
- Popular charts for FX markets
- Buying a charting package
Ch8: Developing a trading strategy
- Day trading
- Choosing the right market
- Bullion trades
- FX hedging of physical share trades
- Trading versus investing
- Financial outlay: tools of the trade
Ch9: Systematic trading
- What is program trading?
- The pros and cons
- Choosing a program - what to look for
- Designing your own FX trading progam
- Major retail FX brokers around the world
- Most popular FX trading engines for the retail investors
- Useful books and websites
- Behind the numbers: an FX traders calendar
- FX jargon buster