Synopses & Reviews
Gardening is one of the most popular, least exclusive hobbies of all. Everybody can garden. Gardening is good for the body; an hour or two of daily yardwork provides just the right kind of light exercise we all need. Responsible gardening also does good things for the environment: materials get recycled, and empty lots become community gardens. Gardening also can boost your mental health; it delights the eye and fuels the soul with a connection to the earth.
Even if you've never repotted a plant, you have the heart of a gardener if you love the taste of garden tomatoes or close your eyes when you sniff a blossom. Gardening For Dummies, 2nd Edition, will help novices get off to a solid start and help seasoned gardeners broaden their breadth of knowledge.
This book is for you if you want to
- Create a garden for the first time
- Know how to mow your lawn the right way
- Find out which bugs are eating up your plants
- Determine when and how much to water your garden
- Attract birds, bees, and butterflies to your yard
- Grow your own herbs and vegetables
Find your way around the garden center by knowing which soil amendments to buy, which tools to use, which plants to choose, and how to use pest controls. You can turn that brown thumb into a green one by exploring these other topics:
- Creating a landscape design: Know what you have; define areas and flow
- Exploring annuals, perennials, bulbs, and vines: Choose healthy plants; water and feed for longevity
- Buying and planting roses: Understand classifications, pruning methods, and winterizing
- Putting in a new lawn: Buy seed; remove sod; explore mowers and trimmers
- Planting seedlings, trees, and shrubs: Transplant from cell packs and larger containers; get bare-root or balled-and-burlapped plants into the ground
- Pruning and propagating: Understand the purpose; look at tools, techniques
- Dealing with weeds and disease: Identify damage; control spread
Gardening For Dummies, 2nd Edition, offers a slew of lists, illustrations, and color photographs to guide you as you garden. No matter what size your planting area, from sunny windowsill to patio to yard, you can nurture and grow a glorious garden.
You’re now officially out of excuses for not planting the garden of your dreams. Even if you’ve never sowed a seed nor pulled a weed, Gardening Basics For Dummies
contains everything you need to know about flowers, beds, borders, trees, shrubs, and lawns to create your own private paradise. This friendly and informative guide also covers all of the tools and additives available to make gardening easier. You’ll discover:
- Clear definitions and descriptions of the different types of plants
- Tips on choosing the type of garden you want
- How to create a garden plan
- Easy-to-follow instructions for soil preparation
- Advice on planting, growing and caring for annuals and perennials
- Step-by-step plans for organic and edible gardens
- Plans for butterfly and children's gardens
Packed with helpful tips on controlling pests safely, managing weeds, and correcting common gardening problems, Gardening for Dummies turns your brown thumb green in a hurry.
Packed with fun and useful tips to help you plan your garden!
Create the garden of your dreams with the right plants and equipment
Want a green thumb? This handy guide gives beginning gardeners tips, plans, and insider know-how for getting started with flower beds, borders, vegetables, trees, shrubs, lawns, and more. Packed with step-by-step advice, illustrations, resources, and suggested plantings, this friendly guide covers all the tools that make gardening today easier than ever before!
Discover how to
- Pick the best plants for your climate
- Plan and prep your garden
- Keep your plants healthy
- Use compost, fertilizer, and safe pesticides
- Troubleshoot common problems
- Locate garden supplies
"Packed with down-to-earth gardening advice." Doug Jimerson, Vice President, Editor-in-Chief, garden.com Praise for Gardening For Dummies®
"The perfect map for a new generation of gardeners." William Rapp, President, Gardener's Supply Co. "All the basics are covered here.
A great introduction." Ann Arbor News "Straightforward, yet light-hearted.
A thorough, readable beginner's guide." Des Moines Register
The bestselling classic, now revised and updated
Your green-thumb guide to growing flowers, vegetables, trees, and shrubs Brimming with illustrations, advice, resources, and suggested plantings, this friendly guide shows you step-by-step how to create the garden of your dreams. From cultivation basics to garden design 101, it's just what you need to start playing in the dirt!
Discover how to: Pick the best plants for your climate and lifestyle Design the perfect garden for you Keep your plants healthy Use compost, fertilizer, and safe pesticides Locate garden supplies
Get smart! www.dummies.com Register to win cool prizes Browse exclusive articles and excerpts Get a free Dummies Daily e-mail newsletter Chat with authors and preview other books Talk to us, ask questions, get answers
About the Author
Steven A. Frowine
is a noted professional horticulturist and a longtime avid gardener and communicator.
The National Gardening Associationis the leading garden-based educational nonprofit in the USA. Visit www.garden.org.
Table of Contents
Part I: Preparing Yourself (And Your Garden) for Planting.
Chapter 1: Getting Ready for Gardening.
Chapter 2: Planning Your Own Eden.
Chapter 3: Getting into the Zone — Your Garden’s Zone.
Chapter 4: Live Long and Prosper: Giving Plants What They Need.
Chapter 5: Gathering Your Gardening Gear.
Part II: Flowers and Foliage: Growing for Color.
Chapter 6: Growing Annuals: Adding Yearly Variety to Your Garden.
Chapter 7: Growing Perennials: Plants That Make a Comeback.
Chapter 8: Brightening Up the Garden with Bulbs.
Chapter 9: Coming Up Roses.
Part III: Stretching Your Garden Beyond Its Boundaries: The Permanent Landscape.
Chapter 10: Growing a Perfect Lawn.
Chapter 11: Reaching New Heights with Trees and Shrubs.
Chapter 12: Climbers and Crawlers: Growing Vines and Groundcovers.
Part IV: Producing Your Own Produce.
Chapter 13: Food, Glorious Food! Growing Your Own Veggies.
Chapter 14: Adding Spice to Your Garden: Growing Herbs.
Chapter 15: Sweet and Crunchy: Growing Fruits, Berries, and Nuts.
Part V: Designing Special and Fun Gardens.
Chapter 16: Mini Gardens and Microcosms: Gardening in Containers.
Chapter 17: Taking the Plunge: Gardening with Ponds and Fish.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 18: Ten Common Questions from (and Ten Common Answers for) Gardening Beginners.
Chapter 19: Ten Quick, Fun, or Handy Garden Projects.
Chapter 20: Ten Garden Projects for Children.
Appendix: Basic Gardening Resources.