Synopses & Reviews
The ideal guide to getting started for every beginning gardener
Gardening Made Simple is a comprehensive step-by-step guide to creating beautiful gardens, including all the basics of planting, growing, and caring for trees, shrubs, flowers, fruits, vegetables, lawns and other greenery. With plenty of clear and explanatory full-color photographs, it gives beginners the inspiration and simple guidance they need to achieve their green-thumb dreams.
A helpful introductory section covers basic tools and techniques and shows you how to choose the right garden plans and plants for your Zone, prepare your soil, manage pests, and prune, mulch, fertilize, and water with ease.
- Includes more than 65 step-by-step gardening projects
- Features 145 easy-to-grow plants, including sections on container gardening, growing your own vegetables, fruits, and herbs, flower gardening, landscaping with trees, shrubs, vines, and groundcovers, and foolproof houseplants
- Features more than 1,200 color photographs throughout, including step-by-step photos and shots of finished projects, as well as colorful illustrations and easy plant-by-number diagrams
- Includes handy Ask the Garden Doctor question-and-answer content, and Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden tips throughout
No matter your gardening experience and skill level, Gardening Made Simple provides the inspiration, insight, and advice you need to grow the garden of your dreams.
- More than 350 gardening plans and projects, including dedicated sections on growing grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Extensive front matter will cover the basics of planting, growing and caring, including choosing the right garden plans and plants for your zone, helpful guides on the proper tools, the basics of soil prep, how to manage pests, and handy tips and troubleshooting guidance on pruning and mulching.
- Over 800 color photos throughout, including step-by-step photos highlighting important steps and techniques, and inspirational finished garden photos that demonstrate the end result.
- Colorful illustrations and plant-by-numbers diagrams guide readers through the essentials of planning and planting.
- Special section on edible gardens offers simple solutions for growing delicious fruits, vegetables, and herbs at home.
- Maintains the Anyone Can look-and-feel, including Q&A-style running footnotes throughout (called Ask the Garden Doctor) to answer common queries for each project and supply cross-references to other points in the book that will supply more information.
- Each project is rated and color-coded by skill level to help readers identify their skill level.
- Handy seasonal maintenance charts and tips to help gardeners schedule their plans, and plant care details for top plants by category.
- Expert tips sprinkled throughout, including time-saving, cost-cutting, and labor-saving ideas.
This complete step-by-step guide makes successful gardening easy!
Whether you're a beginner looking for a basic guide to plants, garden tools, and techniques or a seasoned gardener searching for new project ideas, you'll find everything you need in this book. It's chock-full of easy-to-follow instructions, with more than 1,200 colorful photographs to show you how to achieve success with your landscape and edible gardens without a lot of fuss. Gardening has never been this simple, or this fun!
IN THIS BOOK...
145 plant profiles of the easiest and most popular flowers, foliage plants, trees, shrubs, vines, roses, groundcovers, fruits, vegetables, herbs, and houseplants to grow
65 step-by-step garden projects
1,200 color photographs illustrating each how-to step as well as finished projects
Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden tips throughout provide expert solutions to make gardening easier
Answers to common garden questions from the Better Homes and Gardens Garden Doctor help solve problems
Introductory section on essential tools and techniques to ensure success with gardening
About the Author
The iconic BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS brand is one of America's most trusted sources for information on cooking, gardening, home improvement, home design, decorating, and crafting. Today, the brand encompasses books, magazines, and digital media.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Getting Started 12
Chapter 2. Understanding Plants 24
Chapter 3. Choosing and Using Tools 36
Chapter 4. Preparing and Improving Soil 54
Chapter 5. Growing Turfgrass 82
Chapter 6. Growing Flowers and Foliage 106
Chapter 7. Growing Trees, Shrubs, and Vines 138
Chapter 8. Growing Vines and Climbers 170
Chapter 9. Growing Edibles 184
Chapter 10. Making More Plants 212
Chapter 11. Mulching and Fertilizing 234
Chapter 12. Watering and Irrigating 248
Chapter 13. Pruning 266
Chapter 14. Gardening in Containers 292
Chapter 15. Managing Weeds, Pests, and Diseases 322