Synopses & Reviews
The ultimate resource for Greek mythology!
The Genealogy of Greek Mythology is a groundbreaking first the comprehensive family tree of the Greek gods and their mortal descendants assembled in a unique full-color, fully illustrated, 17-foot-long, fold-out volume. The culmination of eighteen years of work by Professor Vanessa James, the genealogy traces the complete history of Greek mythology, from the beginning of time to the origins of the Greek mortal dynasties.
The Genealogy of Greek Mythology is a fantastic resource for students and mythology enthusiasts and a perfect gift for anyone who loves the art and literature of the classical world.
- Over 3,000 entries for Greek gods and goddesses, monsters and mortals, arranged in a comprehensive family tree
- 125 full-color photos of Greek and Roman artwork, including sculptures, paintings, mosaics, and pottery
- 125 short biographies of the most prominent figures and summaries of the major events of Greek myth
- Detailed maps of ancient Mediterranean borders and a mythological star chart
- A comprehensive index
"James eliminates some of the more arcane characters and includes illustrations and short explanatory paragraphs alongside the names....Simplification has its benefits; the knotty ways of Greek heredity can ensnare even the most organized mind." Leo Carey, The New Yorker
A stunning, fully illustrated and comprehensively annotated genealogical map of the universe of Greek myth; presented in a unique, easy-to-use format
From the television hit Xena, to the Oscar-winning box-office smash Gladiator, to Broadway's Medea, the sagas of antiquity continue to attract avid audiences. Now, the lore and legend of Ancient Greece has been distilled into one spectacularly illustrated resource: The Genealogy of Greek Mythology brings to life the complete cast of characters, mortal and mythic alike. Accompanied by more than 125 captivating full-color photographs of art and artifacts, the narratives and bloodlines mapped out in The Genealogy of Greek Mythology are wonderfully user friendly. Beginning with Chaos before the Earth was born Vanessa James traces the succession of gods and titans through to the first generations of historically verifiable people of the ancient Aegean. Packed with over 4,000 entries, this incredibly detailed resource also features a star chart, regional map, and who's who guide to the Olympian gods. The book's unique accordion-page design can be perused section by section or fanned out to reveal the entire genealogy in seventeen elegant feet on each side.
Published just in time for the holidays, The Genealogy of Greek Mythology will be a necessity for all students and fans of the culture and literature of Ancient Greece, and a delight for anyone who enjoys an adventure.
- Over 3,000 entries for Greek gods and goddesses, monsters and mortals, arranged in a comprehensive family tree- 125 full-color photos of Greek and Roman artwork- 125 short biographies of the prominent characters and summaries of the major events of Greek myth.- Detailed maps ancient Mediterranean borders and a mythological star chat- A comprehensive index
About the Author
Vanessa James, Ph.D., is an associate professor of theater at Mount Holyoke College, and has served as an art director for film, television, and stage productions, as well as shows at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. Her work has garnered three Emmy nominations and an Emmy Citation, and she has received several grants from the National Endowment for the Arts.