Synopses & Reviews
- Choose a course that's right for you
- Get the qualifications and experience you need
- Write a winning personal statement
- Pass assessment tests
- Interview well
Get the competitive edge you need!
The need for nurses is always great, but so is the competition for getting accepted onto a nursing programme. Whether you're just leaving school or a mature or returning student, if you're considering a career in nursing, this book can provide a head start. From researching schools, attending open days and filling out your UCAS application to sitting for interviews and other selection day assessments, this book provides the answers to all your questions, along with expert advice and guidance at each step of the way.
- Explore a career in nursing – learn about the fields you can specialise in (adult, child, learning disabilities, and mental health nursing) and decide if nursing is the best career path for you
- Find out what you need to succeed – discover the academic qualifications and types of experience admissions tutors look for (and how to improve yours)
- Research your options – put together a plan for finding the right university and nursing programme for you, including making the most of open days
- Put together a winning application – tick the right boxes with UCAS, get expert advice on creating a winning personal statement, and identify solid references
- Stand out on selection day – get the lowdown on how to prepare for the interview (including the kinds of questions you'll be asked and how to answer them) and other assessments, like numeracy and literacy tests
Open the book and find:
- How to research programmes and find the best fit for you
- Ways to improve your qualifications and gain care experience
- Expert advice on your application
- Insider tips on how to present yourself as an ideal candidate
- A plan for preparing for your interview
- Considerations for mature and non-traditional candidates
- Common pitfalls to avoid
The need for nurses is always great, but so is the competition to secure a place in a pre-registration programme at university. If you’re considering a career in nursing, Get into UK Nursing School For Dummies
can provide you with the vital edge you need to succeed at getting into nursing school. This compact book provides you with expert advice at each step along the way, including:
- Career assessment — is nursing for you?
- Choosing a field to specialize in — adult, children's, mental health or learning disability nursing.
- Long term planning — A-levels, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, and work experience — that can make you a more attractive candidate
- Considerations for mature/non-traditional students.
- Personal statement — Plenty of insight and examples to help you create a winning and — truly personal — personal statement
- Research — Put together a plan that ensures you find a university that’s right for you.
- Test preparation — Brush up on your literacy and numeracy skills.
- The interview — Common questions and how to tackle them whether you’re in a one-on-one and group interview.
From "How do I get started?" to "When can I expect to be offered a place?" Get into Nursing School For Dummies answers the questions you have with the information you need.
About the Author
Andrew Evered, RN, MSc (Econ), PGCE is a Lead Admissions Tutor and Senior Lecturer for Adult Nursing at the College of Human and Health Sciences, Swansea University, and he has extensive experience working with both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Started with a Career in Nursing 7
Chapter 1: Getting to Know Nursing 9
Chapter 2: Exploring Your Options: Nursing Fields 25
Part II: Focusing on Your Personal Development 43
Chapter 3: Weighing Academic Qualifications 45
Chapter 4: Professional Requirements: How Do You Rate? 65
Chapter 5: Proving Your People Skills 77
Chapter 6: Gaining Care Experience 89
Part III: Preparing to Apply 103
Chapter 7: Understanding the Nursing Programme 105
Chapter 8: Exploring Universities 119
Chapter 9: Making the Most of Open Days and Visits 135
Chapter 10: Money Matters 143
Part IV: Perfecting Your Application 159
Chapter 11: Following the UCAS Process 161
Chapter 12: Writing Your Personal Statement 169
Chapter 13: Finding Solid References 181
Part V: Attending Selection Days . . . And Beyond 189
Chapter 14: Attending the Selection Day 191
Chapter 15: Preparing for Assessments 203
Chapter 16: Excelling in the Interview 213
Chapter 17: Getting Your Results and Making Decisions 227
Part VI: The Part of Tens 239
Chapter 18: Ten Tips for a Successful Application 241
Chapter 19: Ten Common Pitfalls to Navigate 245