Synopses & Reviews
The ultimate reference and guide to the GNU image manipulation program
GIMP is a free, Photoshop-like image manipulation program, and as its use grows, so does the demand for detailed instruction on how to get the very most out of it. GIMP Bible is the most comprehensive and current independent GIMP reference available that goes beyond official documentation.
If you're a digital artist or photographer, the step-by-step explanations in this authoritative guide show you how to power-use GIMP throughout a production pipeline. Topics include understanding the GIMP interface and how to work with it, how to use all of GIMP's tools to create high-quality images, GIMP's default filters and plug-ins, advanced techniques for customization with Python and Scheme scripting, and much more.
- GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a free graphics editor that runs on Linux, Windows, or Macs; it is used to process digital graphics and photographs including creating graphics and logos, resizing and cropping photos, altering colors, combining images, creating basic GIF animated images, and more
- Whether you're a digital artist, professional photographer, or beginner, this detailed how-to shows you best practices, valuable techniques, and helpful tips for getting the most out of GIMP for your projects
- Topics include the GIMP interface and how to work with it, in-depth description of GIMP's tools and how to use them to create high-quality images, a comprehensive reference for all of GIMP's default filters and common plug-ins, and advanced customization with Python and Scheme scripting
Get the most out of this free image editing tool for your production pipeline with the GIMP Bible.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
The most current and comprehensive desktop GIMP reference you'll find!
Create dazzling digital graphics using GIMP
Edit photos, paint, create animation, batch process—you can do it all with the free, open-source GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) and the instruction in this comprehensive GIMP Bible. This valuable book first introduces you to GIMP's interface and tools, then clearly shows you how to manage an entire production pipeline and produce high-quality images. If you're an artist, photographer, Web designer, or animator using GIMP, this is the book you need to succeed.
Find out what GIMP can and can't do—and master all of its tools
Learn to use layers, paths, channels, and colors effectively
Start painting in GIMP with improved paint dynamics
Master a slew of filters and masks and see how to automate tasks
Animate by hand or add effects to video with the GIMP Animation Package
Intelligently resize images with Liquid Rescale
Create custom effects with scripting and other advanced techniques
Companion Web Site
Find the latest GIMP updates, as well as support materials for the book's tutorials and supplemental tutorials at wiley.com/go/GIMPBible.com. The site also includes links to the most current versions of GIMP plug-ins, tips on how to install them, and a blog where you can ask questions pertaining to the GIMP Bible.
- Digital images are sampled into a grid of pixels
- Control image desaturation with the Channel Mixer
- Apply textures painted in GIMP to a character model
- Use GIMP to create high-quality images
- Learn all features, functions, and tools
- Master default filters and common plug-ins
About the Author
Jason van Gumster
is a production artist at Hand Turkey Studios, where he specializes in using open-source tools to produce animations and visual effects for television, film, and video games. In addition to GIMP, he is well-versed in a broad spectrum of open-source tools including Blender, Inkscape, Cinelerra, and Scribus.
Robert Shimonski is a senior-level systems and network engineer with over 15 years of production experience working with enterprise applications, systems, and solutions. He is an expert in Web and digital media.
Table of Contents
Part I: Meet GIMP.
Chapter 1: What Is GIMP?
Chapter 2: Thinking Digitally.
Part II: Getting Started.
Chapter 3: Working with Files.
Chapter 4: A Brief Overview of GIMP's Tools.
Chapter 5: Taking Advantage of Paths.
Chapter 6: Working with Layers and Masks.
Chapter 7: Using Channels.
Part III: Manipulating Images.
Chapter 8: Transforming Images.
Chapter 9: Adjusting Colors.
Chapter 10: Working with Text.
Chapter 11: Painting in GIMP.
Chapter 12: Enhancing Photos.
Part IV: Exploring Filters and Effects.
Chapter 13: Implementing Blur, Enhancement, and Distortion Filters.
Chapter 14: Using Image Creation Filters.
Chapter 15: Using Compositing Filters.
Chapter 16: Enhancing Images with Artistic Filters.
Chapter 17: Working with Specialized Filters.
Chapter 18: Batch Processing with Automating Filters.
Chapter 19: Using GIMP Animation Package.
Chapter 20: Working with Video-Specific Functions in GIMP.
Part V: Advanced Topics.
Chapter 21: Finding and Installing Plug-ins.
Chapter 22: Creating Custom Effects with Scripting.
Part VI: Appendices.
Appendix A: Downloading and Installing GIMP.
Appendix B: Setting Up External Input Devices.
Appendix C: Customizing GIMP.
Appendix D: Additional Resources.
Appendix E: What's on the Web Site.