Synopses & Reviews
The history of Glasgow Airport goes back to 1932, when the present site at Abbotsinch was opened and then occupied by 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron in early 1933. In 1940 Abbotsinch hosted a joint RAF/RN torpedo training unit and in 1943 the site became a Royal Navy base, HMS Sanderling. In 1963, the Royal Navy left Abbotsinch and Glasgow Corporation took over the site, having decided that a new airport for the city was needed. On 2 May 1966, the first flight arrived at Glasgow Airport. However, as the Government had committed to re-building Prestwick Airport, the new Glasgow Airport was only allowed to handle domestic and European flights, the rest going through Prestwick. In the late 1980s BAA sold Prestwick and the restrictions on Glasgow were lifted; in 1989 it became Glasgow International Airport and was massively redeveloped. Although further development is restricted, Glasgow is now the UK s fourth largest airport."