Synopses & Reviews
Beginning with the million-copy bestsellers "First, Break All the Rules and Now, Discover Your Strengths, " Marcus Buckingham jump-started the strengths movement that is now sweeping the work world, from business to government to education. Now that the movement is in full swing, Buckingham's new book answers the ultimate question: How can you actually apply your strengths for maximum success at work?
Research data show that most people do not come close to making full use of their assets at work -- in fact, only 17 percent of the workforce believe they use all of their strengths on the job. "Go Put Your Strengths to Work" aims to change that through a six-step, six-week experience that will reveal the hidden dimensions of your strengths. Buckingham shows you how to seize control of your assets and rewrite your job description under the nose of your boss. You will learn:
- Why your strengths aren't "what you are good at" and your weaknesses aren't "what you are bad at."
- How to use the four telltale signs to identify your strengths.
- The simple steps you can take each week to push your time at work toward those activities that strengthen you and away from those that don't.
- How to talk to your boss and your colleagues about your strengths without sounding like you're bragging and about your weaknesses without sounding like you're whining.
- The fifteen-minute weekly ritual that will keep you on your strengths path your entire career.
With structured exercises that will become part of your regular workweek and proven tactics from people who have successfully applied the book's lessons, "Go Put Your Strengths to Work" will arm you with a radically different approach to your work life. As part of the book's program you'll take an online Strengths Engagement Track, a focused and powerful gauge that has proven to be the best way to measure the level of engagement of your strengths or your team's strengths. You can also download the first two segments of the renowned companion film series "Trombone Player Wanted."
"Go Put Your Strengths to Work" will open up exciting uncharted territory for you and your organization. Join the strengths movement and thrive.
Through a six-step, six-week experience, bestselling author Buckingham outlines how to seize control of personal assets and put them to use at work. As part of the book's program, there is a short online questionnaire, a companion film, and structured exercises.
Instructs readers how to discover and use their strengths to find jobs appropriate to their strengths and achieve success in the workplace.
Outlines a six-step, six-week process through which employees can make the most of their assets while rewriting their job descriptions, in a guide that explains how to determine one's strengths, promote oneself without bragging, and maintain a focused career path. By the author of First Break All the Rules. 250,000 first printing.
About the Author
spent seventeen years at the Gallup Organization, where he conducted research into the world's best leaders, managers, and workplaces. The Gallup research later became the basis for the bestselling books First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Best Managers Do Differently
(Simon & Schuster) and Now, Discover Your Strengths
(Free Press), both coauthored by Buckingham. Buckingham has been the subject of in-depth profiles in The New York Times, Fortune, BusinessWeek
and Fast Company
. He now has his own company, providing strengths-based consulting, training, and e-learning. In 2007 Buckingham founded TMBC to create strengths-based management training solutions for organizations worldwide, and he spreads the strengths message in keynote addresses to over 250,000 people around the globe each year. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife Jane and children Jackson and Lilia. For more information visit: marcusbuckingham.com
Table of Contents
Introduction: LEAD THIS MOVEMENT
- The First Stage: How to Label
- The Second Stage: How To Take Action
- You Are Here
- And You're Closer Than You Think
- The 6-Step Discipline
- Trombone Player Wanted
Step 1: BUST THE MYTHS
"So, What's Stopping You?"
- Meet Heidi
- Myth 1: As You Grow, Your Personality Changes
- Myth 2: You Will Grow the Most in Your Areas of Greatest Weakness
- Myth 3: A Good Team Member Does Whatever It Takes to Help the Team
Step 2: GET CLEAR
"Do You Know What Your Strengths Are?"
- The Four Signs of a Strength
- Who Is the Best Judge of Your Strengths?
- Capture, Clarify, and Confirm Your Strengths
- Will Your Strengths Stay the Same Year after Year?
- Heidi Gets Clear
Step 3: FREE YOUR STRENGTHS
"How Can You Make the Most of What Strengthens You?"
- How Heidi Got Weak
- How Heidi Got Strong
- Your Strong Week Plan
- Four Strategies to Put Your Strengths to Work
- Your FREE Interview
Step 4: STOP YOUR WEAKNESSES
"How Can You Cut Out What Weakens You?"
- What Are Your Most Dominant Weaknesses?
- Capture, Clarify, and Confirm Your Weaknesses
- Quit "Should-ing"
- Four Strategies to Stop Your Weaknesses
- Heidi Stops Calling
- Your STOP Interview
Step 5: SPEAK UP
"How Can You Create Strong Teams?"
- "Your Strengths Weaken Me"
- Conversation 1: The Strengths Chat
- Conversation 2: "How I Can Help You"
- Conversation 3: The Weakness Chat
- Conversation 4: "How You Can Help Me"
- Tips for Strengths-Based Managers
- Team Georgia
Step 6: BUILD STRONG HABITS
"How Can You Make This Last Forever?"
- The End of the Beginning
- The Strongest Habits
- "And What Happens if..."
1. "...I don't know if I should take this job."
2. "...I don't think I should have taken this job."
3. "...I'm new to the job."
4. "...I'm overworked."
5. "...my manager doesn't understand me."
6. "...my manager is an idiot."
7. "...I'm burned out."
8. "...in the grand scheme of things, my job's just not that important."
9. "...deep down, I don't think I'm as good as everyone says I am."
Coda: TAKE YOUR STAND