Synopses & Reviews
If you want to gain more control over your social networking activities with Google+, this jargon-free guide helps you quickly master the ins and outs of the site. Learn how to organize your contacts, hold video chats with as many as ten people, and determine exactly who may learn what about you. With this book, youll navigate Google+ with ease.
The important stuff you need to know
- Massage your profile. Control what the public, specific groups, or certain individuals can see about you.
- Move in the right circles. Assign folks to different groups and share the right stuff with the right people.
- Jump into streams. Get all the updates, pictures, and links from people you know.
- Host hangouts. Organize and attend group video chats.
- View and share photos. Make them available to whomever you like—whether or not theyre Google+ members.
- Get notifications. Monitor what others do (and share about you) on Google+.
- Go mobile. Use Google+ on your Android, iPhone, or mobile web browser.
This first-to-market book on Google+, helps readers get started with Google's new social networking platform that reimagines how to connect and share personal and public information with friends, family, and colleagues. A completely new user interface requires a steep learning curve for users familiar with Twitter and Facebook, and Google's own documentation doesn't offer much help. This Missing Manual fills that gap by providing a crystal-clear, jargon-free explanations of the key features of the service, along with undocumented tips, tricks, keyboard shortcuts, and more. Featuring the high-quality writing readers expect from a Missing Manual, this book includes everything a user of Google+ needs to know.
Google+ offers a new social networking platform that promises to give Twitter and Facebook real competition—but its documentation doesn't help you get past the steep learning curve. This Missing Manual gets you up to speed with crystal-clear, jargon-free explanations of key Google+ features, including Circles, Hangouts, Sparks, and Huddles. You'll find lots of undocumented tips, tricks, and tweaks along the way.
- Quickly learn how to set up a Google + account and add contacts
- Create Circles to organize contacts into groups for sharing
- View and share updates and photos with people in the Stream
- Use Hangout to organize group video chats with up to 10 people
- Identify search topics that may interest your contacts with Sparks
- Get sound advice for managing privacy online with selective sharing
About the Author
Kevin Purdy is a freelance writer, which means he attends fewer meetings, but pays more taxes, more often. He recently left his almost-full-time gig as contributing editor at Lifehacker, and now he's trying to write other stuff for different people. He lives physically in Buffalo, NY, and virtually on Google+.
Table of Contents
The Missing Credits; About the Author; Introduction; How Google+ Works; What You Can Do on Google+; About This Book; The Very Basics; About the Online Resources; Safari® Books Online; Chapter 1: Getting Started; 1.1 Signing In and Joining Up; 1.2 Fleshing Out Your Profile; Chapter 2: Managing Contacts with Circles; 2.1 How Circles Work; 2.2 Adding People to Circles; 2.3 Creating Circles; 2.4 Editing and Organizing Circles; 2.5 Sharing Circles; Chapter 3: Streams, Sharing, and Privacy; 3.1 Viewing Your Stream; 3.2 The Anatomy of a Stream; 3.3 Writing a Google+ Post; 3.4 Choosing Who Sees Your Posts; 3.5 Interacting with Posts; 3.6 Editing, Deleting, and Controlling Your Posts; Chapter 4: Notifications; 4.1 Where You Get Notifications; 4.2 Controlling Which Notifications You Receive; 4.3 Making Notifications Less Intrusive; Chapter 5: Sharing Photos and Videos; 5.1 Viewing Photos; 5.2 Sharing Photos; 5.3 Getting Photos onto Google+; 5.4 Tagging Photos; 5.5 Editing and Deleting Photos; 5.6 Adjusting Overall Photo Settings; 5.7 Sharing Videos; Chapter 6: Hanging Out; 6.1 Starting a Hangout; 6.2 Hanging Out; 6.3 Hangouts on Mobile Devices; 6.4 Tips for Better Hangouts; Chapter 7: Searching and Sparks; 7.1 Searching Google+; 7.2 Getting Better Results; 7.3 Saving Searches; 7.4 Throw Your Post into the Mix with Hashtags; Chapter 8: Google+ Mobile; 8.1 Getting Google+ onto Your Phone; 8.2 Streams, Posts, and Circles; 8.3 Viewing Photos; 8.4 Starting a Messenger Session (Apps Only); 8.5 Mobile Notifications; 8.6 Posting to Google+ via Text Message; 8.7 Sending Things to Google+ from Other Apps (Android Only); Chapter 9: Playing Games; 9.1 Getting into Games; 9.2 Starting a Game; 9.3 Joining a Game;