Synopses & Reviews
Now its easier than ever to transform plain fabrics into beautiful handpainted clothing and home decor. In Handpainting Fabric
, authors Michelle Newman and Margaret Allyson show readers how to use readily available paints, dyes, and art supplies—along with simple, innovative techniques—to create stylish wearables and eye-catching accents for the home.
Following an overview of basic materials and tools, readers will learn practical tips for composition and layout, along with invaluable advice for adapting visual references from nature, ethnic traditions, exotic locations, and ancient cultures. The techniques chapters present step-by-step lessons in painting, dyeing, discharge, printing, using wax resists, and creating special effects on a variety of fabrics, including silks, velvets, and sheers, all with stunning results.
Inspirational examples of fun and elegant clothing (scarves, wraps, vests, skirts) and dazzling decorative accents (pillows, throws, curtains) provide ideas for using embellished fabrics creatively. A chapter on adding stylish details such as linings, tassels, and fringes is also included.
• Makes each step of fabric painting
and dyeing easy
• Author Michelle Newman is a frequent television guest known for her fun, anyone-can-do-it approach
• Features a variety of inspirational designs and projects, all beautifully presented
- Makes each step of fabric painting and dyeing easy
- Author Michelle Newman is a frequent television guest known for her fun, anyone-can-do-it approach
- Features a variety of inspirational designs and projects, all beautifully presented
About the Author
Michelle Newman is a textile and crafts designer who works closely with manufacturers in the fashion, crafts, and home furnishing industries. Mary McFadden and Vera Wang have used her handprinted fabrics in their couture collections. Her work has been featured in Paint Décor, Decorating Ideas, and the Miami Herald. She is also a frequent guest on HGTVs The Carol Duvall Show. She lives in San Antonio, TX. Margaret Allyson has served as editor of several national crafts magazines, including Needle & Thread and Michael's Arts and Crafts. She has also authored books on quilting and weaving. She lives in Fort Worth, TX.