Synopses & Reviews
[Inside front cover]
Stone, brick, wood and other hard materials are the hottest things in landscaping. On his weekly HGTV show, Garden Architecture, author and landscape architect Haig Seferian attracts a wide audience with advice on how to make outdoor spaces more livable, inviting and low maintenance using these popular materials.
Now you don't have to wait for the show. In Hardscaping: High Style, Low Maintenance Outdoor Spaces, Seferian outlines everything you need to know to bring the beauty, durability and just plain fun of hardscaped spaces to your home.
Through over 250 beautiful, full-color photos, and commentary focused on the design essentials, he shows you thousands of ways to transform your outdoor space. Packed with tips, checklists and instructions, this comprehensive resource gives you the tools you need to design your own hardscaping projects, from simple gravel pathways to elaborate water features.
You'll find detailed guidance to help you
- Customize your garden areas
- Use design fundamentals to solve challenges unique to your landscape
- Choose the right materials, with comparisons of wood, concrete, pre-cast and natural stone
- Discover stylish new solutions for porches, patios, decks, walkways and driveways
- Create beautiful enclosures, such as pergolas, arbors and natural stone walls for true "garden rooms"
- Place pools and waterfalls correctly, and use flowing water to mask unpleasant noises
- Decorate your outdoor spaces creatively.
Filled with lovely and unusual gardens and landscapes, Hardscaping: High Style, Low Maintenance Outdoor Spaces makes a lavish coffee-table book. Inspired by its wealth of tips, ideas, checklists, plans and lots of sage, practical advice, you’re sure to start re-imagining your own landscape. No other reference compares to this one-stop resource of landscaping solutions.
[Back jacket, outside]
Personalize your outdoor SPACE
Nothing can make a bigger change to your home and garden more economically than hardscaping. The judicious use of stone, tile, wood, brick and other hard materials can transform not only your landscape, but also your lifestyle. Hardscaping adds ease of maintenance, beauty, atmosphere and especially functionality to any outdoor space. If you’ve considered patios and other hardscape projects but wondered where to begin, you’re in luck. Haig Seferian, popular host of HGTV’s Garden Architecture, answers all your questions in Hardscaping: High Style, Low Maintenance Outdoor Spaces, a one-stop source for creating attractive and enduring landscapes.
Learn how to:
- Choose the right outdoor "floor plan" for your home
- Find and implement the right hard materials
- Design beautiful, functional porches, terraces and decks
- Create enclosure with pergolas, arbors, gazebos, walls and fences
- Achieve both access and privacy with your walkways, steps and driveway
- Design inspiring pools, ponds, fountains or waterfalls
- Decorate your outdoor room with stunning garden furnishings
- And most importantly, meet your budget!
Overflowing with lush photography and an inspiring array of styles, the Elements of Living tm series provides a unique focus on resources, including expert insights and advice, professional solutions and quality design products.It’s your space. Make it personal!
Cover Photo: Tim Lee. Back Cover Photo: Courtesy, Jan Gelderman Landscaping. Author Photo: Courtesy, AJE Productions.
Living material makes a garden beautiful, but hardscaping elements like fences, walkways, seating and enclosures make an outdoor space truly livable. These items create a garden where you can spend time relaxing or entertaining, in addition to tending your plants. In this book, Haig Seferian -- author, landscape architect and the host of HGTV's Garden Architecture -- outlines everything you need to know to incorporate hardscape items into your space. Chapters include: Rooms with a View, that features porches and terraces; Enclosure, with information on pergolas, gazebos and fencing; Access, including walkways and steps; Waterscapes, with information on water features like fountains, ponds, pools and waterfalls; and Decorating Outdoors, which outlines touches such as furnishings and lighting. The book includes hundreds of color photographs to inspire you and lots of do-it-yourself and design tips. McGraw-Hill, $34.95. For more information, visit www.books.mcgraw-hill.com.
- Covers porches, patios, retaining walls, walkways, steps, poolscapes, driveways, and more- Practical advice on choosing and working with contractors and designers- Beautifully illustrated with 200 full-color photos- How to establish and stick to a budget- Details the properties of popular materials such as wood, concrete, asphalt, pre-cast and natural stone
Beautifully illustrated with 200 full-color photos, this book covers porches, patios, retaining walls, walkways, steps, poolscapes, driveways, and more.
Hardscaping -- the use of materials such as stone, wood, brick, and tile in landscape design -- has become enormously popular in recent years. Low maintenance, durable, and attractive, hardscaping brings a totally unique, personalized look to any outdoor space, and increases curb appeal and property value. This gorgeous, full-color reference, written by the host of HGTV's Garden Architecture, explains how to blend function and materials to create a beautiful, long-lasting outdoor living space. Projects range from simple to complex, and the author covers every issue from budgeting to planning and installation.
- Covers porches, patios, retaining walls, walkways, steps, poolscapes, driveways, and more
- Practical advice on choosing and working with contractors and designers
- Beautifully illustrated with 200 full-color photos
- How to establish and stick to a budget
- Details the properties of popular materials such as wood, concrete, asphalt, pre-cast and natural stone
About the Author
is the host of HGTV’s Garden Architecture, which also airs on DIY and several other networks in the United States, Canada and internationally. He appears frequently as a guest on radio and TV shows such as the Indoor Gardener and The Gardening Challenge and has also hosted numerous TV specials, including Best City Gardens. As principal of Seferian Design Group Limited, and the founder and president of Certified Landscape Designers International, Seferian routinely travels throughout North America to work on unique and challenging projects.
Claire Whitcomb is a nationally syndicated design columnist. She has been a writer and editor at Victoria, House Beautiful and House & Garden.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: PLANNING YOUR FOUR SEASON PERSONAL RESORT
This chapter covers how to map your space, create site-specific details, and integrate outdoor areas with the house, as well as design fundamentals.
Chapter 2: HARDSCAPING MATERIALS
Before you can design with hard materials, you must first understand which ones are available to you and how to install them. This chapter covers the properties and uses for wood, concrete, asphalt, pre-cast and natural stone in landscape design.
Chapter 3: OUTDOOR LIVING SPACE: PORCHES AND PATIOS
This chapter looks at different methods for successfully blending the hard materials of a porch or patio with natural surroundings, as well as ways to make these areas seamlessly integrate with our daily activities and rituals.
Chapter 4: GRADING SOLUTIONS: RETAINING WALLS
This chapter looks at hardscape applications that solve specific land topography problems, such as retaining walls for gardens that arent flat.