Synopses & Reviews
This book introduces heterogeneous information exchange as related to organizational hubs and provides new directions and challenges for various other topics, including knowledge management and web information management. It presents ongoing developments in formal and experimental work and extended examples help the reader to understand underlying concepts and the difficulties with applications.
The book is divided into three major parts:
- Part I - Heterogeneous Database Integration: Concepts and Strategies, which deals with developing architectures and techniques for integrating schemas and data;
- Part II - Data Warehousing: Models and Architectures, which develops new and different data warehouse architectures such as multidimensional databases with related management and querying tools; and
- Part III - Sharing Information and Knowledge, which concerns knowledge management, use of standards, information mining systems, and web information management.
The well chosen topics provide scientists, information specialists, engineers, managers, and librarians with new insights in the field of heterogeneous knowledge management systems, including critical aspects of databased decision making, backed by information sharing processes. In addition, managers will find incentives and materials to support new information tools in their organizations.
Table of Contents
Part I: Heterogeneous Database Integration: Concepts and Strategies.
1. Integration Methodology for Heterogeneous Databases; G. Salzano. 2. On Transactional Issues in Federated Information Systems; E. Rodríguez, F. Saltor. 3. Semantic Integration in MADS Conceptual Model; A. Sotnykova, et al. 4. TIME: A Translator Compiler for CIS; C. Nicolle. 5. An Implementation of Database Integration Strategies; K. Da Silva Scopim, et al.
Part II: Data Warehousing: Models and Architectures.
6. An Architecture for Data Warehouse Systems Using a Heterogeneous Database Management System - HEROS; D. de S. e Silva, et al. 7. Developing an Active Data Warehouse System; S.-M. Huang, et al. 8. Building Secure Data Warehouse Schemas from Federated Information Systems; F. Saltor, et al. 9. Conceptual MetaCube - Metadate for Multidimensional Cube; N. Thangh Binh. 10. Integration of Keyword-Based Source Search and Structure-Based Information Retrieval; G. Suzuki, et al.
Part III: Sharing Information and Knowledge Discovery.
11. Knowledge Management for Heterogeneous Information Exchange; B. Thuraisingham, et al. 12. The Exchange of Data in the Global Market. How to Avoid a Tower of Babel; A. Moreno. 13. Knowledge discovery in Heterogeneous Environments; M.N. Kamel, et al 14. Heterogeneous Information Exchanges in the Construction Industry. The SYDOX/MATCOMP/Xi Prototype; A.-F. Cutting-Decelle, J.-E. Dubois. 15. Databases and Design: Discovering New Ideas in Old Facts; S. Iwata.Index.