Synopses & Reviews
For almost twenty years, dog owners have turned to this compact guide for sensible, step-by-step advice how to housebreak their beloved pets--in just one week! Now revised and updated, pet expert Shirlee Kalstone's foolproof method for housebreaking your dog is available with a fresh new look and up-to-date information.
Whether your dog is a puppy or getting on in years, whether your goal is to housebreak, paper train, or litter train, this practical, easy-to-follow plan will help you transform your pet into a dependable member of the household--in a way that works with both his innate behavioral instincts and your individual lifestyle. You'll never again have to worry about your dog acting out, feeling anxious or depressed--or ruining your brand-new rug--as you discover:
* The simple secret of successful housebreaking--understanding your dog as a den dweller
* Step-by-step programs tailored to both apartment dwellers and home owners, as well as to people who go to work, versus those who are home all day
* Schedules for training puppies and (re)training adult dogs
* How to identify your dog's natural behavioral rhythms--and use them to your advantage
* How to cope with housebreaking lapses, marking territory, separation anxiety, and health problems
* The power of praise and positive reinforcement, not punishment
Including sample schedules and timetables, and a list of related resources and websites, here is the essential, proven advice that will make training a pleasure, for both you and your dog.
Straightforward and easy to follow, HOW TO HOUSEBREAK YOUR DOG IN 7 DAYS is a canine classic that takes the heartbreak out of housebreaking with realistic training schedules tailored to the needs of both owner and pet, including: - Step-by-step programs for both apartment dwellers and homeowners, as well as for owners who must go to work vs. those who can stay home all day- Information on paper-training and litter-box training as well as housebreaking- Schedules for training puppies and (re)training adult dogs- How to cope with housebreaking lapses and problem dogs- The power of praise and positive training
Straightforward and easy to follow, this canine classic takes the heartbreak out of housebreaking with realistic training schedules tailored to the needs of both owner and pet.
About the Author
Shirlee Kalstone, an internationally recognized expert on pets for over twenty years, has published 8 books on pet care. A trainer, groomer, and humane society worker, she has also professionally bred and shown both dogs and cats.