Synopses & Reviews
"If other theaters across America had the opportunity to work with Jim Volz, there would be a flowering of American theater unparalleled in our history."
- Rosary H. O'Neill, Artistic Director, Louisiana's Southern Rep
"All of us in the arts field are hungry to improve our skills in life and
arts management. The grim tenor of the times makes this witty and fun
guide even more valuable to us all. A joy, not a chore, to read!"
-Ben Cameron, Executive Director, Theatre Communications Group
The definitive arts management guide, this book is written with tremendous insight and humor and packed with dozens of lists, such as "22 Wonderful Ways to Improve Your Life in the Theater" and "20 Distractions that Erode Productivity." It provides information on improving an organization by building audiences, bolstering fundraising, and tightening finances. Also covered are tips for solidifying relationships with boards, volunteers, communities, and colleagues. It's all here, from managing one's own life, working with a board of trustees, and managing a team to negotiating, fundraising, marketing, and financial management. This resource will appeal to all those who work in arts management-from novices to veteran middle managers and executive directors.
Here are the Lists Included in this Wonderful Book
• 10 Timely Tips for Savvy Arts Administrators
• 20 Distractions that Erode Productivity
• 30 Ways to Seize Control of Your Life
• 12 Ways to Endear Your Theater to Your Community
• 15 Ways to Infuriate Your Community
• 22 Ways to Improve Your Life in the Theater
• 18 Notes Actors Would Give to Artistic Directors
• 5 Tips for Starting a New Job
• 14 Survival Skills for Theater Professionals Young and Old
• An ideal source for anyone aspiring to work behind the scenes in the arts
• Full of breakout boxes, quotes, and helpful lists
• Useful for music groups, art house movie theaters, and all arts management venues
• Available in both paperback and hardcover
Click here to view the hardcover edition of this book
About the Author
Jim Volz is a nationally known theater producer, author, educator, advocate, and columnist. He is a professor at California State University and president of Consultants for the Arts. He lives in Orange County, CA.