Synopses & Reviews
Wouldn’t it be great if you could have one of the world’s most sought-after Photoshop teachers sitting next to you as you navigate through the infinite possibilities of your digital photographic darkroom, especially with a tool as deep and as complex at Photoshop? How to Wow: Photoshop CS3 for Photography is the next best thing. It’s the brainchild of Photoshop Hall-of-Famer Jack Davis, world-renowned author and educator, and award-winning designer and photographer, who has developed invaluable methods to help you reach your full creative and craftsmanship potential. In this gorgeous full-color book, Jack guides you step-by-step through real-world projects, with an emphasis on uncompromising quality, last-minute flexibility, and go-home-at-night speed! You’ll receive tips and techniques on everything from streamlining your workflow in Bridge to hand-tinting an antique look, to optimizing and enhancing an entire photo shoot automatically (and nondestructively) in Adobe Camera Raw! Whether it’s optimizing the color and tone of your image, retouching cosmetic undesirables, or creating classic sepia color treatments, you’ll receive the tools at every stage of the creative process in order to learn How to Wow! Jack begins with the essentials of workflow (including color management, Bridge file-organization, and instant Camera Raw optimization), and continues with targeted adjusting and optimizing and retouching and repairing in Photoshop. Finally, Jack rounds it out with the fun stuff—projects that focus on enhancing and exaggerating aspects of your photos for maximum impact.
Bonus CD, included with the book, contains all the images you’ll need to follow along with each project!
How to Wow Topics Include:
- Camera and Computer Workflow: From Camera settings to using Calibrated Profiles to Soft Proofing and Print Previewing in CS3.
- Bridge and Camera Raw Workflow: Organizing and Processing your plethora of images in Bridge, and using the power of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to blaze through Optimizing dozens of photographs at once.
- Smart Non-destructive Workflow: Between ACR’s prowess and CS3’s Smart Filter technology you may rarely need to “push pixels” again!
- Selecting Tips and Techniques: Whether it’s the new Quick Select and Refine Edge tools or masking secrets that have been available for years, you will be selecting quickly and easily in no time.
- Color and Tone Optimizing: Sometimes you can’t tweak an image enough in ACR. Instead, use the power of CS3’s Curves and Masks for Color Correction and “Smart” nondestructive Dodging and Burning!
- Enhancing Can Begin in Camera Raw! Correct everything in ACR from Color and Tone (with Jack’s Four-Step Tango Fix) to instant Special Effects.
- Skin Softening, Portrait Patching, and Wrinkle Reduction: Skin Softening, Unifying Color, Problem Patching, Wrinkle Reduction and Skin and Glasses Glare Removal, even Selective Body Reshaping.
- Enhancing Eyes, Teeth, Hair, and Lips: Quick Color and Tone Enhancing, along with Selective Sharpening and some essential “Hollywood Glow“ effects can instantly turn a good shot into a great portrait.
- Retouching, Replacing, Removing, and Repairing: When one shot just won’t convey the whole story, it’s time for combining different images to make the perfect picture – from Group Portraits to Epic Panoramas.
- Enhancing Edge, Glow, Density, and Focus Effects: Creating everything from Illustrative HDR Edge effects, Diffused Glows to Graduated Neutral Density Gradients and Artistic Texture Overlays.
- Black & White, Tinting, and Hand Coloring: These techniques are some of the best (and easiest) methods to turn a “seen-it-before” picture into a fine-art print. And how you do it makes all the difference!
Geared exclusively toward photographers (and the photographically addicted) using Photoshop, this book's simple step-by-step instructions help readers create elegant solutions. Just like a favorite cookbook--the ones with short, clear-cut instructions and mouth-watering results--this book identifies challenges, provides simple recipes for overcoming them, and shows what's possible. Readers will find recipes for dealing with common workflow problems (working with Raw files en mass, color correction, dodging and burning, and retouching), and they'll learn the exciting photo-enhancing techniques that can give their work that extra wow factor: tinting, softening, collaging, you name it Along the way they'll get readers up to speed on all of Photoshop CS3's newest, snazziest, and mind-bogglingly useful tools and accoutrements, such as the completely overhauled Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw 4, Smart Filters and Adjustments, black-and-white conversions, Auto Align and Blend, and much, much more.
Geared exclusively toward photographers using Photoshop, this books simple step-by-step instructions help readers create elegant solutions. The text identifies challenges, provides simple tips for overcoming them, and shows whats possible.
Simple step-by-step instructions equal easy, elegant solutions in this volume geared exclusively toward photographers (and the photographically addicted) using Photoshop CS4. Just like readers' favorite cookbooks, the ones with short, clear-cut instructions and mouth-watering photos, this book identifies challenges, provides simple recipes for overcoming them, and plugs in inspirational photos of the glorious results. Realizing that serious photographers, whether professional or amateur, are more interested in the practical and aesthetic concepts that drive Photoshop's use than the technology behind it, the author provides enough theoretical grounding so that readers can use the program effectively, but he leaves out the tech-heavy under-the-hood discussions that represent the core of other Photoshop tomes. Readers will find recipes for dealing with common workflow problems (working with raw files en masse, color correction, dodging and burning, retouching), and they'll learn the exciting photo enhancing techniques that can give their work that extra wow factor: tinting, softening, collaging, you name it! Along the way they'll get up to speed on all of Photoshop CS4's newest, snazziest, and mind-bogglingly useful tools and accoutrements.
About the Author
Jack Davis is perhaps best known as the author of several bestselling books on Photoshop, including How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography, Adobe Photoshop One-Click Wow! , and, of course, The Photoshop Wow! Book. Jack is also an award-winning designer, photographer, and internationally recognized creative spokesperson on digital imagery. He teaches as part of the “Dream Team” at the Photoshop World Conferences, where he was recently inducted into the Photoshop Hall of Fame for his lifetime contributions in the field of education. Jack has an undergraduate degree in Graphic Design and an MA and MFA in Digital Imagery. When he’s not in his studio in San Diego, he is usually on the beach somewhere in Polynesia with a digital camera and analog paints, capturing the local color.