Synopses & Reviews
With 90 detailed hacks, expert web developers Jesse Cravens and Jeff Burtoft demonstrate intriguing uses of HTML5-related technologies. Each recipe provides a clear explanation, screenshots, and complete code examples for specifications that include Canvas, SVG, CSS3, multimedia, data storage, web workers, WebSockets, and geolocation.
Youll also find hacks for HTML5 markup elements and attributes that will give you a solid foundation for creative recipes that follow. The last chapter walks you through everything you need to know to get your HTML5 app off the ground, from Node.js to deploying your server to the cloud.
Here are just a few of the hacks youll find in this book:
- Make iOS-style card flips with CSS transforms and transitions
- Replace the background of your video with the Canvas tag
- Use Canvas to create high-res Retina Display-ready media
- Make elements on your page user-customizable with editable content
- Cache media resources locally with the filesystem API
- Reverse-geocode the location of your web app user
- Process image data with pixel manipulation in a dedicated web worker
- Push notifications to the browser with Server-Sent Events
- Discover new markup and multimedia features
- Take off with new graphics features in Canvas and SVG
- Use new presentation models and tools in CSS3
- Implement local storage with hash tables and databases
- Improve client-server communication with web sockets and XmlHttpRequest
About the Author
Jesse is a technologist with 12 years of experience in developing web applications. He has a Art degree from Rice University, and an M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Texas at San Antonio. He has worked with enterprise Fortune 200 clients, mid to small business owners, and entertainment clients such as Jackson Browne, CSNY, and Angie Ruiz. His positions have ranged from UI designer, high school programming teacher, interactive web developer, web architect, and technical manager.
Jeff currently works as a Lead Front-end Developer for USAA, an insurance/banking/investment company in San Antonio, TX. Jeff is also a blogger at HTML5Hacks.com and has personally released several Hybrid Mobile Applications into some of the popular mobile app markets.
He lives in San Antonio with his wife and three children. In his free time, Jeff enjoys writing Mobile Apps and getting beat by a 5 year old on video games.
Table of Contents