Synopses & Reviews
John Madeley shows that the food imports of many developing countries are rising sharply while their food exports are not. He argues there is a contradiction between Western governments' rhetoric on reducing world poverty and their pursuit of more trade liberalization--against the wishes of most of the world. Food security affects us all. There is no more important issue.
About the Author
John Madeley is the author of Big Business, Poor Peoples: The Impact of Transnational Corporations on the World's Poor.
Table of Contents
1. Seattle 1999
2. Food security: the causes of insecurity
3. Trade liberalization
4. International organisations and policies affecting trade and food security
5. Trade liberalization and food security - the evidence
6. Corporate-managed trade: Patents
7. Corporate managed trade: Genetically modified foods
8. Putting food security into trade: NGOs speak
9. Conclusion: food security with less trade?